something overwriting $ORACLE_HOME in $SHLIB_PATH

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cdrk823
Participant

something overwriting $ORACLE_HOME in $SHLIB_PATH

Post by cdrk823 »

Hi Everyone,

We're currently experiencing a problem with DataStage.

We're getting the C Stage Plugin "Get" Function required error, which could be traced back to our dsenv.

Inside dsenv, we set $SHLIB_PATH to have $ORACLE_HOME/lib32. But when we run the job it fails and when we look at the logs, $SHLIB_PATH ends up with /lib32:/lib:/bin:... ($ORACLE_HOME became blank).

When we started the DataStage server, we did an echo to see what the value is for $ORACLE_HOME and $SHLIB_PATH and saw that they were correct.

What could have caused this error? I want to find out why the $ORACLE_HOME variable doesn't account for anything in DataStage when it does in the UNIX server.

Thanks!!
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The S99ds.rc script that starts/stops the services actually READS the dsenv file and write a temporary one used later on in the script. You may want to look thru this script and see if you can identify where the problem is occurring. You might have a syntax error or a permissions error somewhere that's causing the correct environment from being used.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You need to specifically set the value of ORACLE_HOME in the dsenv file, not just attempt to use something you believe is already set elsewhere. Do you have an entry setting ORACLE_HOME before it hits the SHLIB_PATH?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
cdrk823
Participant

Post by cdrk823 »

kcbland wrote:The S99ds.rc script that starts/stops the services actually READS the dsenv file and write a temporary one used later on in the script. You may want to look thru this script and see if you can identify where the problem is occurring. You might have a syntax error or a permissions error somewhere that's causing the correct environment from being used.
i've just seen that dsrpcd is still running, but this instance has been running for 2 days, and i've actually stop/start the server several times troubleshooting this issue.

thanks for the info, i'll look into that and see what may have happened.
cdrk823
Participant

Post by cdrk823 »

chulett wrote:You need to specifically set the value of ORACLE_HOME in the dsenv file, not just attempt to use something you believe is already set elsewhere. Do you have an entry setting ORACLE_HOME before it hits the SHLIB_PATH?
Actually, this has never failed us before. Our server's set up to run a couple of profile setting scripts and ORACLE_HOME is being set by one of them.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, it seems to be failing you now. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
cdrk823
Participant

Post by cdrk823 »

got the shimmy on this error. i haven't really gotten the chance to update this thread.

there was actually an instance of dsrpcd that was running in the background that is supposedly 'dead'. This prevents us from setting those $ORACLE_HOME variables.

we killed that instance through kill -9 and restarted datastage and voila, problem solved.

Question: I think I saw a more 'humane' way of ending this daemon process. Could someone repost those commands. I do not wish to do kill -9 everytime this happens. I think its dsdlockd or something.

Thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If it's dsdlockd it runs as dsdlockd.

It would be inappropriate of us to advise by guesswork.

If you can tell us exactly the identity of the daemon then we could advise appropriately.

Why not look through the startup script (which is also the shutdown script) to see how it is done there?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.