parameters not being passed in test environment

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

arun_im4u
Premium Member
Premium Member

parameters not being passed in test environment

Post by arun_im4u »

Hi

I have a simple shell script whick i execute using the execute stage. When i run the script i overwrite the parameters with values I want. When i export it to the testing environment I am not able to overwrite the parameters. It always takes the default parameter values, even if I try to overwrite it.

Can someone give any suggestions.

Thanks,
arun.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

You mean the Command stage? The parameters in the design are using their default values at runtime, rather than those passed via job control? You need to go to Director and double-click on the job from the Status view (the main jobs view). This will show you the parameters and values used when the job was last run. If those parameters values are correct, then there's no way the job is using other values. I suspect your test environment is not passing in the appropriate values from your controlling process that is running this job (dsjob, Sequencer, Batch, or custom job control).
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
arun_im4u
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by arun_im4u »

Ken,

I clicked on the job in status view and it shows me the values I gave. But inside the Director logs it shows me the default values. If i run the exact same job in development environment and overwrite with fake values then it ends with a warning, saying that the parameters are wrong.

If i run it in test environment, then i am not able to overwrite the parameters. It just finishes fine using the default values even when the values have been overwritten at run time.

Is it because my environment variable settings are different from dev and test??? How do the parameters get passed. Is there like a script or some settings which have to be checked on the DS server??

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Arun.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The status values are what the job was given at start time. If the controlling process did not set the values, then you will see that the defaults are used.

When you look in the job log, if the log messages contain different values than the status view shows, then the values must be getting manipulated in some fashion.

Are you using environment variables to set the job parameters? I have never seen where the status view shows different runtime values than what the job used. Either there's a bug or your jobs are doing something to the values.

Job parameters are set in the job at runtime. Whatever starts the job is responsible for these values. Defaults are compiled into the job design. You can have different defaults set by the Director that are stored in a secondary location. This means that when the job is ran using Director, Director will override the defaults with the stored away values. But, if the job is started via a Sequencer, Batch, dsjob, or custom job control, then that process is responsible for setting the values otherwise compiled defaults will be used.

How are you starting this job in question?
Kenneth Bland

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You may lack write privilege to the job configuration file (RT_CONFIGnn) in the test environment.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Command Stage has a bug in it in older versions. You cannot feed parameter values to the command. It will look okay in the log but does not work. Change the stage to Routine Activity and call ExecSH or ExecDos. These work fine.
Mamu Kim
arun_im4u
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by arun_im4u »

If I execute the script from a routine activity, I have the same problem
It works in dev and not in test.

This the input argument I give to the routine activity

--- '/appl/EIA/cimgate/email/XXX.ksh "$a" "$b" "$c"'----

I overwrite these parameters($a, $b,$c) during runtime. When it comes to the script i capture the values using echoes and it always echoes the default values, not the values i give in test environment.

Any ideas,

Thanks,
Arun.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

What's with the "$" notation? Job parameters are referenced like this--> #yourparameter#
Kenneth Bland