Default warnings limit in the Designer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Default warnings limit in the Designer

Post by chulett »

Ok... where in the heck does one change the default 'Abort job after X Warnings' limit in the Designer? I hate the fact that it defaults to Unlimited and it keeps becoming an issue because people don't seem to remember it works that way.

The 'Tools/Options' setting for the Director only works for jobs run from the Director. There's no equivalent setting I've ever found in any of the other tools at any level. Is there perhaps a registry hack we can use to set that or are we stuck with it defaulting to Unlimited forever? :evil:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The default default (ibid?) on version 7.0 is 50. Just checked. I'll have to wait till I get to a 7.5 system to verify your assertion.

As to where it's set elsewhere, it wouldn't be a Registry hack if it were going to control dsjob - which can be, and usually is, executed on the server. Most of my scripts explictly specify -warn 2 or thereabouts in any case, since very few (if any) of my jobs generate warnings other than genuine ones.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Right... from a job control or scripted standpoint, I'm good. Warning limits are throttled down appropriately and I can handle the default of 50 from the Director. Specifically wondering how to change the seeming default of Unlimited warnings to something more... limiting... when running a job from the Designer.
-craig

gr17
Participant

Post by gr17 »

Hi,

When you run the job in designer you get a Job run Options pop up in that there is are four tabs Parameters,Limit,Tracing and General. You can change the warning limit here. I hope thats helps.

GR
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Correct. Unfortunately, most people won't bother to switch tabs and constantly run jobs with the default value... hence the desire to change the default.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I guess the question is why running from Designer doesn't pick up the defaults specified in Director. Have you asked this over on ADN, or of your support provider?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No... figured I'd start where I stood the best chance of getting an answer. Ah, well. Monday [crosses fingers] we'll be on 7.5.1A and I'll check if the behaviour is any different once we're upgraded and if not, ping Ascential.
-craig

oacvb
Participant

Post by oacvb »

Hi,

We are using Data Stage 7.5, Data Stage Client is installed in 5 PC's, Intially during the development of the job default limit is 50. One of my collegue was changed it to Unlimited. In the Data Stage Director in my pc (except the pc of my collegue who changed), the default is still 50 for that job. Whereas if we run, it was running good for more than 50 warnings. I guess it is a bug in Data Stage. Please clarify.

Regards,
O.A.C.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What's the limit when you run from Designer? That's what this thread is about.
rleishman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rleishman »

Bad news on the 7.5.1A front Craig. Changed the default to 150 in Director(Tools/Options), bounced server, launched a job:

Not only did it stay Unlimited, the default number (should you choose to accept it) was still 50.

The mystery continues. My money is on "hard-coded", with a slim chance of "Registry Setting".
Ross Leishman
oacvb
Participant

Post by oacvb »

Hi,

It is 50. But once the setup is done and compiled, it should remain same. Isn't?

Regards,
O.A.C.