SearchableN

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Sean
Participant

SearchableN

Post by Sean »

Hi all,

This is yet another mysterious error I have encountered while deploying datastage jobs inanother environment.

I seems to be having this 'SearchableN' trash characters appearing in my ODBC stages (SQL statement) while importing jobs.

Another anormaly would be that my jobs would randomly fail at different jobs when it comes to obtaining references from hash file stating that UV.unable to open file.

This does not occur in my previous environment. Any clues? I know it is vague because I have yet to determine what is happening. Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

They're not "trash" - they're messages (metadata) indicating that the column is not indexed.
And it's probably that you have not created all the hashed files you need in the new environment.
Back to you.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
yinyin61
Participant

SearchableN

Post by yinyin61 »

Hi Ray,

I have encountered similar problem as posted by Sean except my is in the import part of jobs. The SearchableN error message occurs when I am trying to import jobs from one environment into another particular environment.

Why does this error only occur when I am trying to import into one other environment? Is this something to do with settings difference or NLS in any case?

Thanks.

ray.wurlod wrote:They're not "trash" - they're messages (metadata) indicating that the column is not indexed.
And it's probably that you have not created all the hashed files you need in the new environment.
Back to you.
[/img]
Thank you.

Regards,
Aileen Chong
Software Engineer
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's not an error message!

It is technical metadata that indicates that the column is not indexed. It's in the description column so should not have any impact whatsoever on your job design.

That there are mark characters in the description should be OK. I do not know why this error is appearing. The Description field is a multi-line control. Do you have NLS enabled on one system and not on the other?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
yinyin61
Participant

SearchableN

Post by yinyin61 »

Hi Ray,

I apologize for quoting the message box as error.

Yups to ansnwer your question the development environment has NLS turned on whereas the productione environment does not (Where the message appears when importing jobs from dev environment).

Can you explain what if NLS has to do with this case? and what is the significance of it enabled? I am researching on that too. Thanks lots! ;-)
ray.wurlod wrote:It's not an error message!

It is technical metadata that indicates that the column is not indexed. It's in the description column so should not have any impact whatsoever on your job design.

That there are mark characters in the description should be OK. I do not know why this error is appearing. The Description field is a multi-line control. Do you have NLS enabled on one system and not on the other?
Thank you.

Regards,
Aileen Chong
Software Engineer
yinyin61
Participant

Post by yinyin61 »

Hi again,

This is another issue and I think that it could be related. I am having this character

appearing in my ODBC stage Enter SQL window pane. I have no idea how this is generated automatically. Initially there weren't such characters but after ongoing import and exports, this will happen...

Is this by any chance related to NLS? If no... have you encoutnered this? Thanks...
Thank you.

Regards,
Aileen Chong
Software Engineer
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

<arcane stuff>That character is actually an Icelandic "thorn" character. It's used in some other languages, such as Old English and Old Norse.</arcane stuff>

This character is how a field mark (@FM) is represented in some data viewers including, it seems, your DataStage data browser.

Multi-line descriptions in DataStage are implemented as field-mark-delimited strings, with the field mark acting as a line delimiter.

However, when you move to an NLS-enabled environment, the character has to be properly recognized, in this case presumably as the thorn character. The "mark" characters (field mark, value mark, and so on) may need to be remapped. This is affected by what character maps you are using between your Windows client and your DataStage server.