Install DataStage Server ver7.5 on the Box that has ver4.2

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DS4DRIVER
Premium Member
Premium Member

Install DataStage Server ver7.5 on the Box that has ver4.2

Post by DS4DRIVER »

Hi,
I want to install DataStage Server ver7.5 on the same box that currently has DataStage Server ver4.2 running on HP-UX 11i. The client wants both versions running. And, once the jobs are successfully migrated and tested they are planning to retire 4.2.
This could be possible using -itag option during installation. And, i think by default it allocates different memory segments and port number (correct me if i am wrong).
I would like to know the necessary steps and procedures that are required to accomplish the Installation successfully.

Thanks,
Chetan
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You should have no problem installing a 7.5 server on the same machine as your current 4.2 version. The new version will need a different memory segment addres as you have already noted, plus the clients will have to connect using a port number after the node name/IP address. Fortunately the documentation does a good job of explaining the relatively few steps you need to take to make this a successful install.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Because 4.2 is based on UniVerse, its shared memory keys are of the form 0xace..., while 7.x shared memory keys are of the form 0xade... (or something else if the -itag installation is performed).
So that should not be a problem.

The "pointer" to the engine is /.uvhome versus /.dshome so, again, this should not be a problem.

The 4.2 instance listens on port number 31438, the 7.x instance listens on port number 31538 so, yet again, you're in luck!

There WILL be issues if you try to use code compiled on one on the other, and possibly with hashed file internal versions, but otherwise you should be fine even without an -itag installation.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DS4DRIVER
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS4DRIVER »

Ray,
Sounds like i should not worry, should go ahead and install 7.5.
You are the boss.....

Ken, do you have anythingto say.........

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Remember the 4019th IT corollary to Murphy's Law; things only go pear shaped when you don't have a backup.

Take a backup of the system, take an export of the project, and verify that each is good before proceeding.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.