Work with SAP BOM

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Amos.Rosmarin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Work with SAP BOM

Post by Amos.Rosmarin »

Hi there ,

I'm looking for some experience working with SAP,

I need to unload BOM from sap.

Did anyone do it ?
Can you give some insights on how to do it.

Thanks,
Happy new year

Amos
racsingh
Participant

Post by racsingh »

Hi,

BOM is Bill of Material. It provides a complete, formally structured list of the components that make up a product or assembly. Also called as Material List in process manufacturing. Transation code:CS01/02/03

I believe you are asking from which SAP tables can BOM details be derived. If that is your question then here is my reply:
Following SAP Tables will give you BOM details:

1. STKO (BOM Header details)
2. STPO (BOM Items)
3. MAST (Material to BOM link)

You need to use ABAP_Extract stage to connect to SAP . You can make an inner join between tables and get the desired result set.

Hope your query is answered.

Regards,

Post by Amos.Rosmarin »

Hi Rachana , Thnaks

So what you are saying is that I have to read the BOM tables and bomb/analyze the material hierarchy tree using a DS self writen code.

It there a more elegant way to do this ?

Amos
racsingh
Participant

Post by racsingh »

Hi,

There are many SAP programs on BOM and I am not sure which one fits your requirement best.
If you don't want to read the BOM tables in DataStage and get the results directly from SAP then the only alternative I can think of is to have some customized ABAP program where the required result set goes into a "Z" table and then the DataStage can pick up the data from this "Z" table.
Again the design will differ at what level the BOM is to be exploded, if it has to be exploded for all materials or for parameterized materials or for all levels. BOM can be exploded level by level, multi level or a summary cen be derived.

I will appreciate if you could provide me with more details on the BOM requirement.

Regards,
Rachana
Amos.Rosmarin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Amos.Rosmarin »

Thanks again,

This is what I expected, I thing I can always use a BAPI to get this data.

The mission is to read the material BOM, I just want to learn the sap pack.
The documentation is very poor.

I have 3 questions I want to ask you, I hope you don't mind if I send them to you.

Thanks
and happy new year

Amos
racsingh
Participant

Post by racsingh »

Hi Amos,

Please post your questions, I will be glad if I can be of any assistence.
If they are related to DataStage you can use Dsxchange as the medium else you can reach me at: rachana_aries@yahoo.com

Regards,
Rachana
Amos.Rosmarin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Amos.Rosmarin »

Hi Rachana ,

Thanks again for sharing some of your DS-SAP expiriance,
I have 3 questions I could not find the answer to:

1. Can SAP PACK utilize the "X-Structure" mechanism when updating a record? (This mechanism enables to deliver a whole record for update to the SAP side, while noting within a parallel structure of flags which re the exact fields needed to be updated).

2. Can SAP PACK utilize the "check tables" mechanism when updating/inserting a record? (This SAP mechanism enables to validate specific fields' values according to pre-defined reference tables, prior to actually inserting them to the DB).

3. How can you utilize recovery mechanisms when inserting/updating the SAP. For example, can we roll-back a transaction? Control the transaction size? Etc.

Thanks for your time

Thanks in advance,
Amos