Issues with respect to Loading IDoc data into SAP System

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MaheshKumar Sugunaraj
Participant

Issues with respect to Loading IDoc data into SAP System

Post by MaheshKumar Sugunaraj »

Hi All,

There are a couple of Source Systems , after applying Business rules to the data and necessary transformations done the data is loaded into the SAP system which is my Target using SAP IDoc Load stage.

The process is fast until the Transformations where we get the necessary O/P data that need to be loaded but when Loading starts there is a huge performance issues and not sure whats happening, Because it takes all the time to start Loading into the SAP system, In order to check the files were split and we tried to load but it worked for the first set and but later hung up.

Could anyone pls advise on what are the necessary tuning need to be done and what part of SAP i need to confirm such that this does not happen in the future.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards
Mahesh

Please Note: I checked the forum abt this issue, could not fine anything concrete.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
Is it the first set alone works or randomly hungs up?
(If particular set of data is give repeated issue, you can concentrate on that, and might be bad quality of data)
Did you tried loading directly from a sequential file?
(So can make sure the backlog is not due to the preceeding stages)
Did you checked the link buffereing?(Not sure it holds good for server, if the files is huge, you may need to look into scratch disk as well)

-Kumar
MaheshKumar Sugunaraj
Participant

Hi Kumar/ All,

As stated by you,

- I tried directly Loading the Target data into SAP R/3 Load IDoc Stage and nothing was happening for a long time (Nearly 3 hrs , hangs up with out giving any erro message or warnings) though most of the transformations and Business rules applied was done much quicker.

- Then inorder to make sure I split the files and then started loading data, this works fine for the 2 sets of data and then hangs up with out giving any erro message or warnings.

- In Order to make sure the quality and consistency of the data I loaded into Sequential file stage and worked fine then started loading data into SAP R/3 Load IDoc Stage, Still the same happens hangs up with out giving any erro message or warnings

- I am not sure how Link Buffering and Scratch disks help to resolve the above issue, because this is a Server Job. But I have checked the same.
Could you please throw more light into the Link Buffering and Scratch disk - what exactly needs to be done to help improving.

Looking forward for all your valuable suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

With Regards
M
MaheshKumar Sugunaraj
Participant

Hi All,

Could you anybody share there experiences about using SAP R/3 Load IDoc Stage.

If possible please send me the possiblities of tuning for faster loading of data into the SAP system using SAP R/3 IDoc Stage.

Many thanks in advance.

Wishing you'll an advance New Year Wishes and belated Christmas.

Best Regards
Mahesh
ameyvaidya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ameyvaidya »

Are the IDocs being loaded to SAP as a single transaction or are they being broken up into multiple transactions?

I vaguely recall a setting somewhere in the IDOc Load Stage that allows for setting the ?transaction? size...

Perhaps playing with this setting would help...
Amey Vaidya<i>
I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand.</i>
<i>- Douglas Adams</i>
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi Mahesh,

Since you have proved that the performance issue is not from datastage stages (excluding the IDoc stage), now we tej focus can be on the Idoc or the connectivity or the SAP it self.
Possesing lest knowledge about SAP, i couldnt help you much. When i enquired the same with one of a SAP consultant, he asked me suggest you to check loading Idoc directly from SAP instead of using any API. Also conectivity need to be checked. Also make sure the set of data which you have loaded successfully is been refelect in SAP.

Wish you a Great New year!!

-Kumar
MaheshKumar Sugunaraj
Participant

Hi All,

Thanks again,

As stated by Kumar , I have checked the Connection or RFC connection b/w the SAP and DS Env, things r fine, after testing for a few records I checked in the SAP env. the data have been loaded correctly.

When i enquired the same with one of a SAP consultant, he asked me suggest you to check loading Idoc directly from SAP instead of using any API.

Could you pls explain the above in detail.

For ameyvaidya, The data r loaded a single transaction. There is a concept of PACKETs in SAP in which if we define anything more than 100 there is a big issue, so we stick on to something less than 100. Thats the only tuning I could see.

If you'll have anyother suggestions, your welcome.

Advance New Year wishes.

With Regards
Mahesh