hash file directory path does not take spaces

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

battleboy1
Participant

hash file directory path does not take spaces

Post by battleboy1 »

Hi,

while i try to create a hash file in remote network drive. i specified the path which has spaces for directories. for ex:

c:\new folder\some folder....

i get error message saying that the path for hash file should not contain spaces.

i tried searching the forum but couldnt find anything.

is there a solution where i can mask the space and specify the path.??

thanks in advance
ameyvaidya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ameyvaidya »

As far as the windows OS is concerned, the alternative way to handle long file names are:

use the first 6 non-whitespace characters with a ~1( or ~2 and so on if multiple folders qualify).

e.g. "c:\Program Files"
becomes:
"c:\progra~1"

hth
Amey Vaidya<i>
I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand.</i>
<i>- Douglas Adams</i>
battleboy1
Participant

Post by battleboy1 »

what if the first word is less than 6 non space characters? can you please take the same example.

thanks.
ameyvaidya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ameyvaidya »

Just pick the first six non-space characters(not just the first word, the entire name):

"c:\documents and settings\admin\my documents"
becomes:
"c:\docume~1\admin\mydocu~1"
Amey Vaidya<i>
I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand.</i>
<i>- Douglas Adams</i>
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The DIR /X command will show you what the 8.3 name of a Windows file is, sometimes when there are duplicates the ending is not ~1. The DataStage engine came from operating systems that did not allow spaces in the path and I have never felt comfortable using such filenames as they didn't always function correctly, even in places where it should be allowed.