Not able to retrieve timestamps column from database

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

oacvb
Participant

Not able to retrieve timestamps column from database

Post by oacvb »

Hi,

I am retrieving a set of columns from a table, one of the column is timestamp (Create_Ts) and directly writing into a file. I gave timestamp in datastage stages (Both OCI and File). But it is coming blank in file. Size of the timestamp columns in both the stages are 19. Even if i increase the column size the field is blank in the file.

I can make it varchar in both the ends, incase if at all want to do some transaction at trasnformer, what should i do?

Regards,
Venkatesh Babu Obla
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi,

1. Have you used the View Data option in OCI.

2. Load the metadata from Datastage Repository. Usually it is Timestamp 38.

Pls let us know what happens.

Rich
Tasneem
Participant

Post by Tasneem »

Hi,
If u r using OCI load stage ,on the Properties page in the Date format try using this format :YYYY-MM-DD.
Just chg those formats and try.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I think varchar on both ends works great. It stores it internally as varchar anyway. DataStage itself is faster in a server job to use varchar on most everything. You only need the real type on a plugin like a bulk load. DataStage will handle the conversion at that point.

PX jobs are very different in regards to metadata like this.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What is the datatype in Oracle? Is it a DATE field or actually one of the newer TIMESTAMP types? If so, which exact type?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Craig is correct. The newer date types added milliseconds and some of the routines break. DataStage itself may not handle a new data type on a new release of a database. You may have to use varchar in that case.
Mamu Kim