Is Static Or Dynamic Hash File I had to Use

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rkdatastage
Participant

Is Static Or Dynamic Hash File I had to Use

Post by rkdatastage »

Hi

Can any one suggest me if the size of the hash file is huge means more than 50 million records or the size of the hash file is exceeding more than 2 GB , what type of hash file i had to use , whether Static or dynamic, if static what type of Static Algorthim i had to use as static is having 17 different static types and one B tree type , which one i had to use all the 17 different static algorithms are same or will they differ...?
In case i had to use Dynamic , then is there any standard size definitions to the properties of Dynamic file where when interacting with Huge data.

Thanks in advance

RK
sasi_kumarreddy
Participant

Re: Is Static Or Dynamic Hash File I had to Use

Post by sasi_kumarreddy »

Hi RK,

upto my knowledge goes... static hash files are used if you know the size of the data in the source and dynamic hashfiles if you exactly don't know the size of the source.So we have min number of groups in dynamic hash files where as number of groups in static hash files. If you know the exact size of the source data.. then go for the static.proper static hash files we give very good performance.

Experts can correct me if any wrong at any place.
SASI
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

If you really want to go beyond the 2GB size, then you would need to create the Hashed files as 64 bit files(otherwise it is only 32 bits). Do a search on 64 bit hashed files, you will find lots of post about how it can be done. For that you would need to make change to uvconfig file setting 1 as the value for the parameter 64BIT_FILES(for new file created only(not existing ones)).
Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

loveojha2 wrote:For that you would need to make change to uvconfig file setting 1 as the value for the parameter 64BIT_FILES(for new file created only(not existing ones)).
No, you don't - and it's generally a Bad Idea. That is also something that would come from reading the related postings here.

Just create the ones you have that exceed 2GB as 64bit.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

Thanks chulett for correcting me.
This post describes it the best
viewtopic.php?t=89802&highlight=64+bit+files
chulett wrote:
loveojha2 wrote:For that you would need to make change to uvconfig file setting 1 as the value for the parameter 64BIT_FILES(for new file created only(not existing ones)).
No, you don't - and it's generally a Bad Idea. That is also something that would come from reading the related postings here.

Just create the ones you have that exceed 2GB as 64bit.
Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall.