HFC.exe -> need it but don't have the Datastage CD

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ippie02
Participant

HFC.exe -> need it but don't have the Datastage CD

Post by ippie02 »

good afternoon DSers.

I would like to use the HFC application to enhance hash files but I don't have access to the Datastage CD. Is there another way to grab a hold of this application?

thank you
<h3>Consulting</h3>
If you're not part of the solution, There's good money to be made in prolonging the problem.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's the only official place it resides. Maybe someone would be good enough to post it in a downloadable area (such as ADN). I don't have access to a DataStage CD at the moment.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Give me your email, I could mail it to you. When zipped I guess it is just 29 KB
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ippie02
Participant

Post by ippie02 »

hi

epmenard@gmail.com

thank you very much!
<h3>Consulting</h3>
If you're not part of the solution, There's good money to be made in prolonging the problem.
ippie02
Participant

ticket still open

Post by ippie02 »

good morning,

narasimba was kind enough to propose to send the application to me by email, but hasn't done so.

If anybody else knows of a way I can get the file, please let me know, thank you

EP
<h3>Consulting</h3>
ippie02
Participant

got it

Post by ippie02 »

I have received the file.

thank you everybody.
<h3>Consulting</h3>
rkdatastage
Participant

Post by rkdatastage »

Hi
If u feel comfortable then can u share some of the information that how effective is HCF.exe , how to utilise it ? how can i estimate the values for the calculation of Hash file configurations..?
Thanks in advance , awaiting for your valuable response.

RK
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you use HFC you will realise that it's quite easy. You enter the total number of records and the average record size - and choose a hashing algorithm from a drop-down list. HFC does the rest.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rkdatastage
Participant

Post by rkdatastage »

Hi Ray

Thanks a lot for your reply.
can u tell me if the size of the hash file is huge means more than 50 million records or the size of the hash file is exceeding more than 2 GB , what type of hash file i had to use , whether Static or dynamic, if static what type of Static Algorthim i had to use as static is having 17 different static types and one B tree type , which one i had to use, all the 17 different static algorithms are same or will they differ...?

Thanks in Advance

RK
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why would there be different types if they were all the same? :wink:

If you actually use the HFC, you'll see that each static type relates to a specific key pattern. Fill in the other variables and then switch through them to see which type they correspond to by looking at the generated command line.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Static or dynamic - doesn't make any difference for the total volume of data to be stored. Choose dynamic for ease of maintenance. Choose static for optimum performance IFF (if and only if) the volume of data is precisely known and unchanging.
somu_june
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by somu_june »

Hi Narasimha,

I have seen your post to convert 32 bit type 30 to 64 bit static hash file. I have the same requirement and Iam using 7.5.1A version of datastage. Can I use HFC.exe to determine the file type,module, seperation for version 7.5.1A. If so please help me . I don't have any HFC .exe with me . If you had so can you mail me and also I want to know what this HFC do actually. My mail id is somu.june@gmail.com

Thanks,
Somaraju
somaraju
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

HFC - Hash File Calculator is used to create Static or Dynamic Hash files.
HFC calculates the parameters required to create a hash file based on inputs like - Average Record Size, Number of Records.
It also give you the total size that the newly created hash file could store.
The Key pattern depends on the structure of dat you are storing in the hash file.
The output of the HFC is the command used to create the required hash file.
You could use the command to create the hash file, either in Datastage of in the OS level.
Note :Only 32 Bit Hash files can be created through the Datastage GUI, if you want 64, use the command in the OS level.
As for the HFC.exe i tried sending to the OP but due to tight security the mail did not go through. :(
I will try to upload it to a common place where everybody can access it
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A couple of corrections. HFC does not actually create the hashed file; it generates a command that allows you to create the hashed file either from DataStage environment (a CREATE.FILE command) or from the operating system environment (a mkdbfile command). It does not calculate the average record size and number of records; it expects you to provide that information, and uses it to estimate the total volume of data to be stored, allowing for storage overheads. The key pattern that you choose from the drop-down list determines the file type (hashing algorithm).

HFC works with hashed files for all versions of DataStage from 1.0 through 7.5.1A. Since nothing to do with hashed files changes with the Hawk release, it should give correct answers in future releases also.

I have low-priority plans to enhance HFC to be able to generate command options for enabling public or shared caching. But, as they say, there's no money in it, so it has to wait till a time when there's nothing more important for me to do.
somu_june
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by somu_june »

Hi Narshima,

Thanks for telling what does HFC do. And my requirement I have already stated that Iam looking to a DB2 table and Iam writing records to a hash file. The records in DB2 table are not consistant , number of records increases in DB2 table after job is run we are loading the records to the same table then what should I have to do to achieve this. Which hash file I have to use I have three key columms all are char wether I should take type 18 static and resize it or can I stick with type 30 and increase to 64 bit. Once again thanks for trying to upload HFC in a common place, please let me know when you uploaded. Iam new to Datastage can you tell me what command I have to use to create a 64 bit hash file or can I follow your method which you stated in above posts.

Thanks,
Somaraju.
somaraju