Limitations on Hash File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ragu
Participant

Limitations on Hash File

Post by ragu »

Hello Everybody,

Is there a maximum file size for a Hash File?
If the data exceed the file size, how does it work?
Does it keep overwriting the old data?

Thanks
Ragu
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ragu,

this question has been posed many times, please try using the search functionality next time.

Hashed files use 32 bit pointers, thus they have a limit of around 2Gb unless they are created with the 64BIT option, in which case their limit is larger than the storage capacity of any machine we are likely to be working on at this point in time.

Many UNIX file systems are either limited to 2Gb per file or there are soft user limits in place which prevent users from creating files larger than 2Gb.

No data is overwritten when attempting to add to a file past the normal limit, you will get an error.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

An attempt to write beyond the 2GB boundary of a 32-bit hashed file will result in its being corrupted. You will get backward link (BLINK) errors when trying to access the illegal address.

Presumably an attempt to write beyond the 19 million TB boundary of a 64-bit hashed file will result in the same behaviour. I have not been able to test this!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ragu
Participant

Post by ragu »

Thanks Ray and ArndW,

I got this job done
I will do a thorough research before posting
This forum has always been of great help

Thanks again

Ragu