Job Running Continuously

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Andal
Participant

Job Running Continuously

Post by Andal »

Hi

My Job is running continiously without aborting. My Source is a XML file and my target is DB2 OS390 (DRS Stage). we are parsing the XML file through XML input stage and passing it to the Target.

I stopped the job from the director and reset it. From Previous run , it is showing

Code: Select all

From previous run
DataStage Job 1984 Phantom 4024
Program "*DataStage*DSR_LOADSTRING": Line 212, Exception raised in GCI subroutine:
Access violation.
Unhandled exception raised at address 0x7C86D474 : Unknown exception code

Aborting DataStage...
This job doesnt have any complex validations also. Getting the input from the XML and passing it to the Transformer and from XFR to DRS(Target).

Other jobs with the same kind of design is runiing fine.

But If i add a Sequential file in the transformer and just include a dummy row in that sequential file, the job is finishing.

Can someone help me on this regard.?
Rgds
Anand
srinagesh
Participant

Post by srinagesh »

is this something to do with access permissions on the XML file ?
make sure that the XML file is readable and is not opened by another user or job when it is being accessed in this job.
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

I dont think it is something related to permissions of XML , because if i add a sequential file, the job is running fine. Moreover the XML file is in the server , No users doesnt have permision to acces the directory. We can acces those files only through Datastage.
Rgds
Anand
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

HI,
Are you able to view the data of the source?
If you can able to reach the data through datastage, you would be in the positon to access with the same use id/passwd used by the datastage login. Because the access are give only at operating system level.

-Kumar
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

we are totaly in a different environment, from where we dont have right to acces the server. I dont think there will be problem with the access of XML file.
Rgds
Anand
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

Any inputs on this topic is very much appreciated
Rgds
Anand
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... ok. :? Question time.

Define what 'running continuously' means in this case. What status does the monitor show for the Transformer in the job - Starting, Waiting, Running? Do the row counts grow until you kill it, get to a certain number and then stop or do they never get off of zero? Does the monitor show 'Complete' but the job itself still say 'Running'? Need a better idea of what is going on before any useful suggestions can be made.

Also clarify what 'add a Sequential file in the transformer' means. Do you mean if you replace the XML Input stage with a Sequential File it runs fine into the DRS? Or are you replacing the DRS with it and it then writes to the Sequential file fine? Or something else entirely?

Out of curiousity, what database is the target of the job - Oracle? What access method, native or ODBC?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
gpatton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gpatton »

Which XML pack are you using?

How big is the file ( both file size and number of records ) that fails, compared with the file(s) that work?
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

My Source XML is having only 7 records. My target is IBM DB2/OS390. We are using DRS to connect to the target.

7 rows are passed to the target, but the job is not finishing. At first the runtime statistics shows, "7 Rows/second", and then gradually it is decreasing to "0 rows/second".

If we see in the director, the last executed statement is "Insert into Tgt_table (column_names) values (:1,...)", and my job status stops thereitself. The job is not finishing, the target table is also not updated.it is running status itself.

My original job design is like

XMLSource ----> XFR ---> Tgt (DRS)
I added the seq file just for testing purposes and inserted a dummy row, I didnt remove any stages, but i added the seq file stage

Seq File (seq file stage)
                |
                |
XMLsource ---> XFR ----> TGT
The same job is working fine in other paltforms like Oracle,SqlServer.
Rgds
Anand
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

I added a IPC before the Target DRS, and Now the job is running Fine without any problems.

Can anyone explain, why this happened or which resolves my problem.
Rgds
Anand