Reading Blob Datatype (Oracle)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ketfos
Participant

Reading Blob Datatype (Oracle)

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
I am trying to transfer image from Oracle table (datatype BLOB) to a file.

How do I read the BLOB datatype in input Oracle Source Table.

When I run the job, it aborts giving error message

ORA 00932 - Inconsistent datatype.

What datatype should be associated for BLOB?
I checked up few posts and tried relating it with varchar, varbinary,binary and longvarbinary.. but got the same error message.

Thanks
Ketfos
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

BLOBs are not supported. It's a Binary Large OBject, which means it has no relative meaning to what ETL tools are generally used to do: push around strings and numbers. BLOBs could contain anything from small text data to large binary data such as images or movies or such.

Just think a moment about what an ETL is doing. It lets you move around strings and numbers and manipulate them, perform math, string juggling, etc. You would never "do" anything to a BLOB, so ETL tools don't support them.

If you need to spool BLOB data, then use sqlplus. If you need to load BLOB data, use sqlldr. Informix, the former name for Ascential, used to own a tool for manipulating, storing, searching BLOB data called media360, but it's no longer sold.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Wait for Hawk to be released, then update to Enterprise Edition, which includes BLOB support.

Otherwise, process a reference to the BLOB and organize your own mechanism (such as one of the ones Ken described) for moving the BLOB when writing to target.

Or uuencode the BLOB and move it (with some performance penalty) as a large character string.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.