Why the scheduler job can't be started ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ICE
Participant

Why the scheduler job can't be started ?

Post by ICE »

Hi,

Do u know why the schedular can't start the job???
I have been being scheduled my DS job(batch job).It's always running on every monday 11:30AM.But today it never started.
Why this happen???
Also sometimes I see DS job can't load some data from the source table.I mean DS job can't extract the whole data from source table even though I run repeatedly twice or thrice so that I can get whole data.But it work properly again after rebooting the server. It's very weird.I checked in the DS job design.Nothing wrong.Also those jobs always run properly on scheduling.It's sometimes happen like that way.Do u know what's the matter???

Any suggestion pls.

Thanks in advance,
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ice,

in order to solve the problem you will need to supply more information; right now you have told us that some things don't work sometimes - how can anyone fix a problem with only that statement.

You state that your scheduled job didn't run today. I am assuming that you looked into the DataStage logs and didn't see run information for today. The Windows scheduler is, by default, the "AT" program. In order to find out why a program didn't run today you will need to look at the AT log files or at least at the scheduling information. Is the AT service even running? Has someone changed the schedule? Are other scheduled tasks running?
chinek
Participant

Post by chinek »

Could be anything...maybe server crash or was shutdown ? Maybe someone remove the job schedule in DS Director ?
ICE
Participant

Post by ICE »

Nope.I have been checked the scheduler jobs.All are fine.Nothing wrong.
Does DS server rely on the window server???Because after rebooting the server ,all the schedular jobs are going well.
So I suspect on the server.
What do u think???

Any idea pls........

Thanks in advance,
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ice,

in your last comment you asked questions answered in the first post! YES, DataStage server relies on Windows server! The program is called 'at' and needs to be running.
ICE
Participant

Post by ICE »

Now ur answer makes me sure that my probelm is because of Window Server.Right?I also think so.

Thanks u so much for ur suggestion.........

ArndW wrote:Ice,

in your last comment you asked questions answered in the first post! YES, DataStage server relies on Windows server! The program is called 'at' and needs to be running.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Most small windows servers that we used DS on were periodically rebooted (at least once a week before the weekend) to enshure such things are avoided.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
rkdatastage
Participant

Post by rkdatastage »

Thanks Participants

As you all know very well that datastage repository is stored under operating system level. so the behaviour of datastage is dependent on Operating system , that's why some times we will be encountering unidentified errors though the things are fine as per our design.

RK
ICE
Participant

Post by ICE »

My server is Windows 2000 server.Yes.I am planning to reboot once a week.Thank you for u all responses.

Thank u very much.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

rkdatastage wrote:Thanks Participants

As you all know very well that datastage repository is stored under operating system level. so the behaviour of datastage is dependent on Operating system , that's why some times we will be encountering unidentified errors though the things are fine as per our design.

RK
That is not the case. DataStage Repository is stored in a database. Theoretically it could be on a different machine.
DataStage on Windows installs four services of its own. It relies on only one "native" Windows service; the Scheduler service. This must be running for the Director client's Schedule view to work properly.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.