subroutines

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sravan
Participant

subroutines

Post by sravan »

Hi guys,

i have doubt in sub routines concept /

what is main advantage of sub routines and plz tell me some commonly used sub routines?

how can we handle the connected lookup logic in datastage? in case of informatica unconected look up is there but in datastage it not...

and even update strategy concept too?

plz clear me on these topics

thanks in advance

bye
sravan
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The concept of a subroutine exists in many, if not most, programming languages. DataStage is no different in this this case. Subroutines are used to re-use common programming code and/or to make a program modular and maintainable.

Simple example - if you have a job with 50 Text columns containing names and you need perform some operations on each of these that include Capitalization and conversion of Mr./Mrs./Miss/Dr./etc into their long text (Mister,Misses,Doctor,Professor, etc.) are you going to write the same conversion logic and if-then-else 50 times or are you going to write one subroutine and call that 50 times?

What is a "connected" vs. an "unconnected" lookup?

DataStage doesn't have an update strategy, neither do Infa or the other ETL tools. The job designer has to think about the update strategy and then implement it using the tool. What exactly do you want to know about implementing update methodologies?
sekharg_dw
Participant

plz write a code so that we can know how to write routine

Post by sekharg_dw »

ArndW wrote:The concept of a subroutine exists in many, if not most, programming languages. DataStage is no different in this this case. Subroutines are used to re-use common programming code and/or to make a program modular and maintainable.

Simple example - if you have a job with 50 Text columns containing names and you need perform some operations on each of these that include Capitalization and conversion of Mr./Mrs./Miss/Dr./etc into their long text (Mister,Misses,Doctor,Professor, etc.) are you going to write the same conversion logic and if-then-else 50 times or are you going to write one subroutine and call that 50 times?

What is a "connected" vs. an "unconnected" lookup?

DataStage doesn't have an update strategy, neither do Infa or the other ETL tools. The job designer has to think about the update strategy and then implement it using the tool. What exactly do you want to know about implementing update methodologies?
sekhar g
mumbai
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Umm... hello, did you say something? Oh, I see, in the subject line. Not the world's best place as it's not at all obvious until one replies.
sekharg_dw wrote:plz write a code so that we can know how to write routine
Please check out (via the Manager) the sdk section of the Routines supplied with the product. All kinds of examples there, source code and all.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Craig - I didn't see that comment in the title and wondered if he hit the "return" key too soon and thought I'd see a follow up.

This forum is an aid to DataStage, not a substitute for self-help. I won't supply code for such a broad request. As Craig stated, there are a lot of builtin examples available to browse from the Manager plus many more already posted here in the forums.
rkdatastage
Participant

Post by rkdatastage »

Hi sarvan

As per the previous discussion you might have got some inputs from the Participants.
From my end regarding update strategy you can find the different update actions while using OCI Stage or ODBC Stage. use the appropriate update action as per your requirement

RK