Verb UNLOCK is not in your VOC error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kamesh
Participant

Verb UNLOCK is not in your VOC error

Post by kamesh »

I am getting "verb UNLOCK is not in your VOC" msg while i was trying to unlock job. Can any one explain why i am getting this msg.

Thanks
kame
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Kamesh,

The UNLOCK is not a command in the DataStage projects, it is only found in the master UV account. How are you going about using the UNLOCK command? It should be used very carefully as inadvertantly unlocking the wrong processes can cause job aborts and malfunctions. The job administration options in the Directory should be sufficient for most problems.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Prefer the DS.TOOLS menu, or Cleanup Resources in Director, if you're planning to unlock jobs.

Do not unlock anything unless you are 100% certain that it's safe to do so. The locks are there for a reason. In general the only locks that it's safe to unlock are those held by defunct processes. And these will be freed - after a while - by the deadlock daemon if you have it running.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ml
Participant

Post by ml »

Hi kame,
To run UNLOCK command you need to do it from uvsh. I believe that if you are tring to unlock a job from the server, this way is much more simplest than DS.tools.

You need to do something like this:

telnet to DS server, load dsenv, then run ../DSEngine/bin/uvsh from your project and then LOGTO UV in the promt ">", after these steps you will be able to run LIST.READU and UNLOCK INODE *** USER *** ALL.

be careful and good luck.
tcj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tcj »

I think the original point was missed that he can't get access to the UNLOCK command.

Kame: I suspect your problem is that you have not been granted connect access.

Have a look at the link below.

viewtopic.php?t=81459&highlight=grant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Nope, it wasn't missed and has got nothing to do with a lack of grants - Arnd noted the problem:
ArndW wrote:The UNLOCK is not a command in the DataStage projects, it is only found in the master UV account.
By default, the 'UNLOCK' verb only works when logged into the UV account, not any of the project accounts. Kame needs to come back and clarify what it is he is trying to do, so a correct and safe answer can be given to him. Telling people to do any kind of UNLOCK ALL is dangerous advice without all the caveats that should go along with it. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

Well Ray's comment is correct...But if you dare ignore and want to UNLOCK then perform these before UNLOCK....

SET.FILE UV VOC UV.VOC
COPY FROM UV.VOC TO VOC UNLOCK

I presume your not going through DSTools but doing it the "command" way which creates your error....