DSR_LICENSE GET PROTECT

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cheerfu1
Participant

DSR_LICENSE GET PROTECT

Post by cheerfu1 »

Hi All,
currently i have encountered an issue whereby even if i have stopped a job through Director,
however in unix's ps -ef

i can still grep a phantom thread of the job..
therefore i turn to "cleanup Resources" in Director, the thread 's desc would be
DSR_LICENSE GET PROTECT.

Does anyone know what does this mean?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes. :lol:

But it would be more helpful if you were to post the entire line out of the ps report, so the explanation would be clearer.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rbhudsuder
Participant

Post by rbhudsuder »

Same problem here.
Cleanup Resources list contains entries such as
PID # / Context / User Name / Last Command Processed
25962 / Transformer_20 (Starting) / dsadm / DSR_LICENSE GETPROTECT [ DSD.UVOpen @ 0xD48 ]
40868 / Controller / dsadm / PHANTOM SQUAWK DSD.StageRun kapiti2prestTrDate. kapiti2prestTrDate.Transformer_20 30 -2/50/1 [ DSD.RUN @ 0x2F22 ]

>ps -efo pid,args | grep TrDate
16368 grep TrDate
25962 phantom DSD.StageRun kapiti2prestTrDate. kapiti2prestTrDate.Transformer_20 30 -2/50/1
40868 phantom DSD.RUN kapiti2prestTrDate. -2

Wider context is: There is a highly parallel sequence (looks like cobweb in Designer) containing 200+ jobs. In the beginning it seems to launch jobs as intended, and many of them successfully finish. These jobs produce a lot of hashed files in a directory. At a point the jobs running in the given moment appear to hang (20-30 of them usually) and they would remain in that state for many hours (until killed by hand).

The sequence has been running in another environment with no such problems many many times. It looks like copying the project to another machine or reinstalling DataStage was what disrupted its behaviour. I checked uvconfig settings and tried to mimic that of the stable environment to the best of my knowledge ( DISKCACHE and T30FILE ). but they had been pretty much identical anyway.

Any ideas welcome.

Marton
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard! :D

(Kapiti as in Kapiti coast?)

DSR_LICENSE is a "helper subroutine" that retrieves license information for a connected client. GETPROTECT is one of the tasks that it can be given. DSD.UVOpen is a lower-level function that opens a hashed file - in this case probably the hashed file DS_LICENSE.

What I would be checking first if this occurred elsewhere would be that MFILES and T30FILE are large enough, that DS_LICENSE is not corrupted, and that you have not exceeded your license limit.

Of course, since you are cleaning up project resources, this report is simply telling you that this is one of the resources that has been checked.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rbhudsuder
Participant

Post by rbhudsuder »

Okay, the problem was that after editing uvconfig I forgot to uv -admin -regen

In the end

T30FILES 600
DISKCACHE -1

solved the problem.

Cleaning up all the hanged jobs was an annoying job though.