Restartable job sequence

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Bala R
Participant

Restartable job sequence

Post by Bala R »

Hi,
I am trying to make my job sequences restartable when one of the jobs has aborted. The add checkpoints property is turned on for the job sequence. The property is turned on in the administrator too.
When a job in the sequence has aborted the the logs in the sequence says the job status aborted but the subsequent logs says:
'Removed checkpoint record at successful completion of sequence'.
The manual says I should see in the director the status as 'Aborted/restartable' but I see the status as finished. I am missing something :oops:. Could someone point me in the right direction?
Server version is 7.1r1.

Thanks for your time.
poorna_76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Restartable job sequence

Post by poorna_76 »

Bala R wrote:Hi,
I am trying to make my job sequences restartable when one of the jobs has aborted. The add checkpoints property is turned on for the job sequence. The property is turned on in the administrator too.
When a job in the sequence has aborted the the logs in the sequence says the job status aborted but the subsequent logs says:
'Removed checkpoint record at successful completion of sequence'.
The manual says I should see in the director the status as 'Aborted/restartable' but I see the status as finished. I am missing something :oops:. Could someone point me in the right direction?
Server version is 7.1r1.

Thanks for your time.

Are you handling anything if the job gets aborted?
like using Notification to send mail, if job aborted.

We faced the same problem,
when a job is aborted and we use notification stage to send mail , the Sequencer log says "Removed checkpoint record at successful completion of sequence".

We removed the Notification stages after the job failure and Sequencer now says its "Aborted/Restartable", if any job fails.

There might be some other way too, to handle this.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

To clarify, the job sequence detects that the abort has been "handled" by the Exception Handler, and therefore removes the checkpoint and reports successful completion.

You can have one or the other, but not both.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Bala R
Participant

Post by Bala R »

The job is the last one in the sequence. The sequence ends there and there are no triggers/links coming out of the last job.
What else I should look for?

Thanks.
logic
Participant

Post by logic »

Hi Bala,
Even if there are no links coming out of the last job in sequence,Check if there is an Exception handler stage included in the sequence as suggested by Ray.. :roll:
Bala R
Participant

Post by Bala R »

Logic,
There is no exception handling or email notification in the sequence. Its a simple single line of job flow with only four job activities. Each job activity triggers the next if it 'Executed OK'.

Thanks.
poorna_76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by poorna_76 »

Bala R wrote:Logic,
There is no exception handling or email notification in the sequence. Its a simple single line of job flow with only four job activities. Each job activity triggers the next if it 'Executed OK'.

Thanks.
Did you check these options in JobProperties:

"Add checkpoints so sequence is restartable on failure"
"Automatically handle activities that fail"

Regards