Different versions of DataStage: Question about plugins

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

smleonard
Participant

Different versions of DataStage: Question about plugins

Post by smleonard »

We are currently running DataStage version 5.2 on Solaris. We recently bought DataStage version 7.5 and are prepared to install it. I have read through the forum entries and I know that it is possible to co-locate two versions of DataStage, but only one can be active at a time.

Our DS admin was looking at the install/upgrade guide, and noted that although we can install DataStage to a separate directory, the installation will automatically search for and upgrade any of our plugins. This causes us concern, since it seems it will upgrade to 7.5 plugins, and may no longer be compatible with DS v5.2.

We only have two machines to work with - Development and Production, so we need to be able to switch back and forth between 5.2 and 7.5 on the Development server. Has anyone perfomed something similar? Were the plug-ins a problem? [We use the Oracle 8 plugin mostly, but there may be a few other plugins used]

Thanks,
-Sean
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Actually, you can have multiple instances running on the same machine at the same time. Plugins are not an issue with colocated versions 7.1 and 7.5; and I am fairly confient that it would work with 5.x and 7.5 - but not enough to recommend trying it on a production environment. I think you ought to ask Ascential/IBM support for a definitive answer for that.