DataStage scheduling issues

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

venugopal81
Participant

DataStage scheduling issues

Post by venugopal81 »

Hi All,

We have scheduled our datastage jobs with EVERY/DAILY option. All Jobs got hanged. But when we have schedule with TODAY option all jobs got success. This problem occurs only for BW Load Packs not for other jobs.
We have observed with Different scheduling options. But jobs are working under TODAY scheduled option. How can i resolve this issue.

Please suggest me.

Thanks&regards,
venu
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Venu,

when you say your jobs "hang", do you mean that they start and have a status of "running" in the DataStage Director? I can see no reason why a job would behave differently because of the time it was scheduled.

On UNIX when you schedule jobs to run from the Director they will be put into the default scheduling tool's list - this would be 'cron' and 'crontabs'. If you look at the entries in there for both jobs scheduled for today and for future dates, do you see any differences?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

EVERY uses cron, but TODAY uses at - maybe you don't have some required permission to use cron?

By "hang" do you mean "don't advance to a status of running" or "reach a status of running but never reach a status of finished".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ray,

I didn't know that - I am assuming that you mean the Windows AT command running from the client's system? That would also explain the different behaviour in this case.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, I mean the UNIX at command. Where use of cron is governed by the cron.allow file, the at command is governed by the at.allow file.

Not all variants of UNIX support an at command but most seem to.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

But if the scheduling user is not in the appropriate 'allow' file then the scheduling attempt will fail, not the running of same. Need a better explanation of what 'hang' means.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
venugopal81
Participant

Scheduling issue solved

Post by venugopal81 »

Hi ray,

The issue seems to be permissions to cron, the datastageadmin id which owns the rfc server process doesn't have permission to the Unix Scheduler.
EVERY uses cron , but TODAY uses at - maybe you don't have some required permission to use cron ?

Now this problem solved.

Thanks Arndw, Ray and chulett .