Lookup

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shrey3a
Premium Member
Premium Member

Lookup

Post by shrey3a »

Hi,

I've a scenario

Table A

Code Age
1 >25
2 25-50
3 50-75
4 <75

Table B

I need to pick up the code from table A by comparing the age e.g. 55 fall in 50-75 so the lookup shuld pick up 3.

*table A is not static it keeps on changing
Thanks in advance

Regards
sjhouse
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjhouse »

For something like this with just 4 ranges that are considered static, I would either use a nested if statement in the derivation or create a routine using a case statement.

I like the routine, because you only need to modify 1 place if the ranges would change.

Hope this helps.

Stephen
shrey3a
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shrey3a »

Its not static and ranges are more then 4 ....

Regards,
Munish
sjhouse wrote:For something like this with just 4 ranges that are considered static, I would either use a nested if statement in the derivation or create a routine using a case statement.

I like the routine, because you only need to modify 1 place if the ranges would change.

Hope this helps.

Stephen
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

What exactly do you mean by "not static"??? Please give an example.

Are you saying that there can be more number of ranges ?

Or are you saying that the values of the range may change?

Thanks!

Naveen.
shrey3a
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shrey3a »

Hi ,

its both values can also change and there are more number of ranges.

Rgds

[quote="naveendronavalli"]What exactly do you mean by "not static"??? Please give an example.

Are you saying that there can be more number of ranges ?

Or are you saying that the values of the range may change?

Thanks!

Naveen.[/quote]
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Pre-load a hashed file from Table A. The hashed file contains every possible age - they look like people's ages so there will only be 100 or so rows - and the corresponding code. This should load in well under a second. The rest is a simple lookup based on age. I've assumed here that age is an integer of some kind.

The more rows you have in Table B, the better this solution is.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

We had the same requirement and We did what ray suggested in the previous annswer -->
Create a dn maintain a CSV or flat file with all the possible values in it.
In the load the HASH file from CSV file and do the lookup.

Doing it from CSV file is a better way (i think) as whenever the requirement changes like the range descr for 25 - 50 may sometime in future change to 25 - 35 and 35- 50 then it will be easie for you to change it directly in the CSV/Flat file.
logic
Participant

Post by logic »

Hi Deepak,
I am sorry but I did'nt get it. :roll: Why would it be better to load to a CSV file. Because even if there are changes in Table A, they would be transferred to the hash File as suggested by Ray!!!
Even if you are considering that when the business requirement changes then the changes have to be made Manually. Then would'nt the changes be made to table rather than making the changes into the intermediate file :?:
thanks.