Running sp's through SQL Server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bangorlad@hotmail.com
Participant

Running sp's through SQL Server

Post by bangorlad@hotmail.com »

Does the stored procedure stage suepport SQL Server. The only database vendor I can access is ORACLE. If this is the case, is there any other way of running SQL without having to define any input or output.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What version of DataStage? I was under the impression that the 'latest' version had support for more than just Oracle... or is that still coming RSN?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

WHAATTT!! Can't I invoke a stored procedure written in SQL Server from DataStage?? I have an ODBC stage which should be made use of to invoke the SP. If it is not possible, please tell me how I can get around this. And, I don't seem to have a Stored Proc Stage in my version of DataStage (7.1r1).

If it is not possible, can I use the user defined SQL to write SP? My SP contains T-SQL statements and a whole bunch of conditions.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The ODBC stage supports stored procedures, what's the big deal?
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
bangorlad@hotmail.com
Participant

Yes, I know that you can call an sp throuugh an ODBC stage but what if you just want the stage do conduct a piece of SQL work i.e truncate a table, drop a table, create a table, etc rather than using the sp to output data.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Then I suggest you execute a command line and run the SQL script or PL/SQL script that way. You have infinitely more options for error handling and complicated scripts.
Kenneth Bland

I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Hi,

I had a similar situation where I had execute the sp script. And I did it by executing the SQL script through a batch file in a before/after job subroutine.

But you need to have the OSQL.exe utility for SQL Server. This is very easy.

Thanks,
Naveen.

FYI, version 7.5.1A stored procedure stage supports only Oracle, DB2 and Sybase databases. SQL Server is not supported.
bangorlad@hotmail.com
Participant

You may have noticed that I am using a UNIX implementation of Datstage and do not have direct access to osql.

Are you suggesting that I write a shell script that remotely calls a script on the database server that runs osql.

If you could tell me how to do this and give me the code, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

You can run commands on remote machines using the remsh, rsh, or rlogin commands. It works for running commands on remote Windoze or Unix machines. The issue is permissions.

It may sound like a gimmick, but you can always put triggers on a table that do the things you need done. Then, insert the appropriate row with keywords that activate the trigger and run the logic required. That way you don't do anything fancy like remote commands.

The alternative is to use the ODBC stage to "do" something and stream a single row to the sp.
Kenneth Bland

bangorlad@hotmail.com
Participant

Thank you, that was very helpful.