Changing column positions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Changing column positions

Post by gateleys »

Hey, is there a simple way to reposition the columns that is got from the metadata. Only thing I could do is insert columns, but with all the typings. Importing metadata does not provide solution since it maintains the original order. I require it for maintaining the column order to be used by the BI tool.....That guy wants it that way.
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

You can reposition the columns from within Interprocess Stage, just right click the column to be repostioned, drag it to the position where you want it.
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

GREAT!! Thanks for the response.
tcj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tcj »

You can also move the column orders around in a transform stage. Clicking on a field in the grid at the bottom of the transform window and dragging it above or below the other fields should move it.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

If you are using column generated or fully generated then the columns can be in any order.

I have a routine which will sort the column names in DS_METADATA. I am looking for it now. When I find it then I will post it if you ask for it. I thought I already had.

Updating DS_METADATA and other IBM hash files is dangerous. Do not blame me if you break your project. I know how to recover from these kinds of errors. I am very comfortable doing this. I learned the format of this table from a post from Ray. He posted a way to extract this table to comma delimited and XML. Look for this routine.
Mamu Kim