Upgrade DS 4 to 5 issues with AS400

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kcbland
Participant

Re: "SYSIBM.SQLTABLES" is an undefined name

Post by kcbland »

CoolHard wrote:I am very appreciated if I get reply immediately.

What???

I would like all of my questions answered immediately as well. :roll:
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

My guess is that you were trying to import metadata, and the query to get the list of tables failed.

Inability to do this usually means that your userid lacks the appropriate permissions in your database to select from certain system tables. I suggest you pursue your DBA and get the permissions.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
CoolHard
Participant

Post by CoolHard »

kcbland wrote:My guess is that you were trying to import metadata, and the query to get the list of tables failed.

Inability to do this usually means that your userid lacks the appropriate permissions in your database to select from certain system tables. I suggest you pursue your DBA and get the permissions.

Yes you are.I am trying to import metadata.But when I try to do that,the connection is fine.Means that connect to the database.But then I got that error message while loading the tables the database.So conclusion is,there is no problem with connection but cannot load the tables from the database.For the database permission,we only have one userid and password for that AS400 Database.So that userid and pwd has full right to access and manipulate.
Asctually I have experience with Datastage 4.x to import the metadata .No problem at all.But I am facing the problem in Datastg 5.x.
I am trying to migrate the Datastg 4.x prj to 5.x.So I am trying to import all the metadata tables to 5.x.
Do u think that is the Datastage problem?
I have some suspect coz that table SYSIBM.SQLTABLES are not in AS400 Database.
So........

Help me pls,

Thanks in advance,
cool hard
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard! :D Please check this post about why there is no such thing as "urgent" here.

I would be very surprised if SQLTABLES does not exist; it is a system table containing information about all the tables in the database. It's more likely that you don't have SELECT privilege to that and other system tables.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
CoolHard
Participant

Post by CoolHard »

ray.wurlod wrote:Welcome aboard! :D Please check this post about why there is no such thing as "urgent" here.

I would be very surprised if SQLTABLES does not exist; it is a system table containing information about all the tables in the database. It's more likely that you don't have SELECT privilege to that and other system tables.
HI,

Yes,those are system tables.SYSIBM is included in DB2 database but I don't see in AS400.NOw my data source is AS400.So I really don't know what it is.HOw to solve?Could u pls suggest me anything?
But I am very sure that's not concerning with Database privilage.
I am very new in working with DB2 Database and IBM AS400 database.
Is there anybody who have experience with AS400 and Datastage?

Thanks 4 ur time,
coolhard
CoolHard
Participant

Post by CoolHard »

CoolHard wrote:
ray.wurlod wrote:Welcome aboard! :D Please check this post about why there is no such thing as "urgent" here.

HI,

Yes,those are system tables.SYSIBM is included in DB2 database but I don't see in AS400.NOw my data source is AS400.So I really don't know what it is.HOw to solve?Could u pls suggest me anything?
But I am very sure that's not concerning with Database privilage.
I am very new in working with DB2 Database and IBM AS400 database.
Is there anybody who have experience with AS400 and Datastage?

Thanks 4 ur time,
coolhard

Dear All,

Nobody can't help me???
Do u think this is Datastage problem?
I think this is Database problem.Do u think I am corrct???

Thanks 4 ur time,
coolhard
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Stop pushing.

We post as and when we can. Read the post I recommended.

Right now I am posting during a break in a training class that I'm running, when I could be eating snacks and drinking coffee.

As far as I am aware/concerned, there is no such thing as an "AS/400 database". From one point of view, every file on an AS/400 can be considered to be a table; to get back a full list of table names takes ages. Typically you set up a filter in - for example - the client software so that only selected names are returned.

If you're talking about DB2/400 them this is a variant of DB2 and will have a system table that contains a list of table names.

My guess is that your DB2 client software on your DataStage machine is configured for talking to a UNIX-based DB2 instance rather than an AS/400-based DB2 instance, which is why it's explicitly looking for the SYSIBM.SQLTABLES table.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
CoolHard
Participant

Post by CoolHard »

Dear Ray,

I am so sorry for my inconvenience to all of you.
I really thank to u.
Thank u so much for your time.
Your comments are very useful for me.
I am going to try to solve it and then I let u all know.

BTW,my target db is AS400.ODBC cofiguration is DB2.So I believe your guess is very right.

Thanks so much for ur time,

coolhard
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The first one of these I ever encountered (configuring an ODBC driver to get tables back from an AS/400 machine) took just short of 70 hours (that's three days) to get all the table names back. This was in an IBM lab! We quickly learned to configure filters in the ODBC driver!
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

Or another guess for your problem... old version of DB2 on the AS400, while newer version of DB2 client on your datastage server.

Open a ticket with IBM/DB2, in some cases it is possible to install some extra things on the mainframe so that it will work. Another solution would be to downgrade your DB2 client.

It's not a DataStage problem, it's a DB2 downward compatibility issue :idea:

Ogmios
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,

My first tendency is to agree with ogmios.
What version of AS400 are you trying to access?
Is it still supported on the DS version you have problems with?
Do you need some new drivers? (some versions had problems with the shipped drivers for this platform)

Are you trying to connect to a scheema you'r already working with the older DS version or a brand new schema (scheema = DB, which as Ray said Is a directory with files)?

In the AS400 case the tables need to be jornalled or preferebly use the create database or is it scheema command (so long I can't recall whihc) that usually does all that work automatically.

Last time I checked there was still support for some 4/5 veresions of DS, you can check with your support provider if your versions still qualify.
(my guess is that not many here still have access to a configuration such as yours, therefor might have little means to help you besides their past experiance version 4 was around 4 years ago at least as far as I recall)

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
CoolHard
Participant

Do u think DS v5.x can work with AS/400 V4R5 using DB2 v8.x

Post by CoolHard »

Dear All,

I come back again.......... :idea:
Still I have problem even I installed the DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition.
Same problem(Searching DB2 system tables that not in AS400 anymore).
When I check DS v5.x(now I wanna use) across with DB2 v7.x(old DB2 version),it works properly.
But when I use DB2 v8.x(new one) with DS v5.x(new one),this problem encounter.AS/400 is same one.
So,Do u think that is DS v5.x problem ? Or DB2 v8.x problem?
Do u think DS v5.x can support DB2 v8.x?

If I have to answer Roy's questions,

I am using AS/400 v4R5(current working with DS v4.x.) and Current DB2 version is 7.x.

Now I am trying to upgrade to DS v5.x and new DB2 version is 8.2 with same AS/400 database v4R5.

I am not so sure DS v5.x can support the AS/400 V4R5 or DB2 8.x.HOw can I check this???

So ,I am trying to access the same schema(currently running AS/400 db) from DS v5.x by using DB2 8.2 ODBC.

Can you suggest me something ???

Thanks for your time,
coolhard

roy wrote:Hi,

My first tendency is to agree with ogmios.
What version of AS400 are you trying to access?
Is it still supported on the DS version you have problems with?
Do you need some new drivers? (some versions had problems with the shipped drivers for this platform)

Are you trying to connect to a scheema you'r already working with the older DS version or a brand new schema (scheema = DB, which as Ray said Is a directory with files)?

In the AS400 case the tables need to be jornalled or preferebly use the create database or is it scheema command (so long I can't recall whihc) that usually does all that work automatically.

Last time I checked there was still support for some 4/5 veresions of DS, you can check with your support provider if your versions still qualify.
(my guess is that not many here still have access to a configuration such as yours, therefor might have little means to help you besides their past experiance version 4 was around 4 years ago at least as far as I recall)

IHTH,
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Why upgrade your SuperNintendo to a Nintendo 64 when there is a Gamecube available? Sorry ... wrong forum. Why upgrade to version 5.x when 7.x is available? Server jobs in 5.x are the same as those in 7.x, except they are faster and more reliable due to enhancements and defect fixes. The DataStage engine has changed between version 5, 6 and 7 but I have never found it to be a problem during upgrades. This isn't a product where you need to follow the 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 chain. You can upgrade straight from 4 to 7.

DataStage 7.x also has a bit more intelligence in the install and asks you whether you want to configure to version 7 or 8 of DB2 during installation, this may help you get your DB2 settings right.

For immediate help with these problems you should open a case with Ascential support. They have often helped me out with DB2 connection problems.