Hased file reading from different jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

snassimr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hased file reading from different jobs

Post by snassimr »

Hi !

I use JOB SEQUENCE design where I rn three jobs in parallel and all three jobs read from the same hash file .

I wonder if its ok and it not corrupt data ? How to improve perfomance of reading . Whats the sharing options ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, it works just fine and nothing about reading it with multiple jobs simultaneously will corrupt it.

For required reading on the subject of Hash Stage Disk Caching check out the dsdskche.pdf document of the same name included in your 'Docs' directory. This includes the option of sharing hashed files at the system level.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
snassimr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snassimr »

What the advantages of setting Hash Stage Disk Caching in System Level ? Its written that the default value is READ.WRITE option ? Is there is better option for Reading from hashed file ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The advantage is the fact that one copy of the hashed file would be shared by your three jobs, rather than having three identical copies of the hashed file in memory.
-craig

snassimr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snassimr »

I dont understand what I need exactly to do to set sharing in system level.

Its written in that Hash Stage Disk Caching that the default value is READ.WRITE option.

What , to run the set command one more time ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

snassimr wrote:I dont understand what I need exactly to do to set sharing in system level.
I know. :?

I almost didn't reply to this originally because I didn't want to get sucked into an endless thread of questions, something I really don't have the time or energy to handle right now.

This is an advanced subject, a path not to be taken lightly - and not really suited for casual discussion on a weboard. There are plenty of cons as well as pros and the distinct possibililty exists of horked things up badly. IMHO you need someone familiar with the process there onsite with you to handle this properly.

If you are feeling adventurous, read the pdf (again) and test out making changes to a test server installation, one you can afford to lose. Work out the kinks there. Or - better yet - note down the fact that you can do this and save the actual implementation for another day. I've got upwards of 1500 jobs running nightly across various projects and don't have this option enabled. I would guess most installations out there don't as well.

Unless there is a more adventurous soul in the audience willing to take this on? :wink:
-craig