Performance improvement

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sairamkrish
Participant

Performance improvement

Post by sairamkrish »

Hi,

Currently i have a DataStage job to load millions of records from Db2 tables on MVS mainframes to mainframe datasets on MVS environment using FTP stage and subsequently these datasets are loaded into Db2 tables on MVS using JCL/Cobol jobs.We use Data Stage version 7.5.1.A with MVS version installed and we have Data Stage server installed on an AIX box.
But in case if i get my Db2 database migrated from MVS mainframes to AIX box,will that be a performance improvement to me ?Pls let me know if need to provide other details in case.

thanks
Krish.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That is a completely unfair question! :evil:

What are the hardware configurations? What processing restrictions do you have on either machine? Are your DataStage jobs optimal? Will you still be sourcing data from the mainframe or is everything happening on the AIX machine? What - precisely - do you mean by "performance" in the ETL environment? And so on.

Without that kind of information your question falls into the "if I buy a different car will it go better?" category.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sairamkrish
Participant

Post by sairamkrish »

Hi Ray,

This is my current scenario .My Data Stage jobs are quite optimal ones and the jobs involve picking millions of records from Db2 tables on mainframes using DB2 stage and applying few bussiness rules at the transformer stage and loading them on to datasets on MVS Mainframes using FTP plugin stage.

DB2 tables(On mainframes)----->TX------------->FTP(Datasets on mainframes)

Now the source and target both resides on Mainframes.After the above job completes we load the datasets loaded by the above job into Db2 tables on mainframes by some JCL jobs.

I would like to know,if the above DB2 database on mainframes is migrated to another AIX box ,Will that reduce the time taken by the above DS jobs to load the million of records.

Am not quite aware of the hardware configuration of the mainframes and AIX box.

Thanks
Krish
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"Am not quite aware of the hardware configuration of the mainframes and AIX box. "

Therefore I am not quite aware whether you'll see any difference in whatever you understand performance to be.
:roll:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Neil C
Participant

Post by Neil C »

I think this falls into the "Just run it and see what happens" bucket Ray. :wink:
Neil Courtney

"MG - Life's too short not to"
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Krish,
If you are not happy with your job on the mainframe's performance, then you can just forget about AIX box. AIX will not give you the better performance than the mainframe does.