Best Practices for Version Control Tool of DS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

saadmirza
Participant

Best Practices for Version Control Tool of DS

Post by saadmirza »

Hi all,
Can anyone provide me with the best practices used in Version Control tool of DataStage Server..?
I have some 60 odd jobs to be transported to Quality environment. Please suggest whetehr should I use Version Control tool ?

Thanks,
SM
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

How "odd" are the jobs? :lol:

Seriously, Version Control is a good tool for promotion because of the control it allows you over the target environment (read-only, recompile, etc.) and the ability to include other folders (for scripts, etc.) in the process.

Version Control for DataStage is not, however, a source code control system. Adjust your expectations if you have been led to believe that it is.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Read the online help that installs with the product, specifically Chapter 2 which covers the Version Control "Methodology".
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chinek
Participant

Post by chinek »

Hi
Do a search on Version Control; you will find lots of best practices around.If you really want to do source control you can create exports of jobs and check them into PVCS Version Manager or any other source control type software.

Nick