Creation of user of DataStage.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Gokul
Participant

Creation of user of DataStage.

Post by Gokul »

Hi,

In Datastage Administartor ,we can assign roles to the User for a specific user. Where and How can we create the Users of Datastage?
Note: This is not an interview question, i just stumbled across the question.

Thanks,
Gokul
rkdatastage
Participant

Re: Creation of user of DataStage.

Post by rkdatastage »

Hi gokul

the users of datastage are based on the operating system, create users in operating system level and by using datastage administrator tool, you can specify the roles to the users. but the user has to be attached to a group and datastage allows u to specify the roles to the users of whole group.

hope u got it.

RK
Gokul wrote:Hi,

In Datastage Administartor ,we can assign roles to the User for a specific user. Where and How can we create the Users of Datastage?
Note: This is not an interview question, i just stumbled across the question.

Thanks,
Gokul
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In short, no.

DataStage roles are associated with operating system groups, not with operating system user IDs - but there is no practical limit to the number of groups on the operating system nor to the number of groups to which a user can belong.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gradkarthik
Participant

Post by gradkarthik »

Hi
In the operating system where the Datastage server is installed there are local groups which include Administrators, Power Users, Users etc. Administrators by default have the DS Production Manager privilege
In DS Administrator in the Permissions page you can view the Operating system local groups and also the global groups which exist in your network.
I tried to assign Datastage Developer privilege to one of the global groups of which i am a member and tried to log on to datastage but it didnt allow.
So do i have to specifically be a member of the local Operating system group Administrators to log in or is there any other way?
I am sorry if I hijacked this post but the question seemed kinda relevant to this post. all specs are same except the server is windows instead of UNIX
Thank you
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"So do i have to specifically be a member of the local Operating system group Administrators to log in or is there any other way?"

No, not to log in. But you do need to be in the Administrators group (which user dsadm should be) to perform administrative tasks, such as controlling security. 8)
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gradkarthik
Participant

Post by gradkarthik »

Hi Ray,
I created a new local group in the Datastage Server called DSOperators and added my developers to this group. Then i logged into DS Administrator with dsadm authorization and assigned Datastage Operator privelege to this DSOperator group.
Now when my developers try to log on to datastage they get the error

Code: Select all

Failed to connect to host: nicetl01, project:Prod
(internal error (39202))
I searched the forum for previous posts and found that it is something to do with permissions of the new local group(DSOperators) that I created on the Datastage server.
I couldnt understand how to resolve this issue. :?
Kindly help.
Karthik
gradkarthik
Participant

Post by gradkarthik »

Hi Ray,
I solved the old problem.
The local group DSOperators, which i had created didnt have write permission to the Datastage directory in Datastage server. So i logged in as admin and gave it write permission and now my developers are able to log in with their user names.
Now a new problem has occured. Since i have given them just Datastage Operator privileges, they can only log into Director. but they are not able to see any jobs. its completely blank. All the categories as still seen though but none of the jobs are visible.
If i give my developers the Datastage Developer right then they are able to see the jobs in Director. Why this difference between Datastage Operator and Datastage Developer.
now i am confused.
Can you help me.
Karthik
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are three roles.
  • Operator can only run released jobs. They can't even view all log entries unless this is allowed in the Administrator client. They can't modify jobs or metadata and therefore don't need Designer or Manager.

Developers can modify jobs and metadata, and therefore can use Designer and Manager (and Director), but they can't make changes in protected projects.

Business Managers can make changes in protected projects in addition to having all Developer access.