How to install NLS seperately?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

krsriraman
Participant

How to install NLS seperately?

Post by krsriraman »

Hi,

We have Datastage server installed without the NLS. So, in the datastage admin, the NLS button is disabled.

Now,
there is a requirement for NLS.

Can somebody tell, how NLS can be installed now seperately?

We have Datastage installed in Unix.
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yaminids »

Hello there,

We had the same problem. These are the steps we followed to solve this issue:

1) Backup all the jobs by taking an export
2) Un-install DataStage
3) Chose the option "Install NLS" during the re-installation of DataStage
4) Import the backup jobs

Hope this will help you
Yamini
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

NLS can not be installed separately.

It may be the case that you have installed, but not enabled, NLS. In this case your uvconfig file will contain various NLS... entries, including NLSMODE, which is the "on/off switch" for NLS.

If you have not installed NLS, then you must follow the steps shown by Yamini, then enable NLS by setting NLSMODE to 1, stopping DataStage, running uvregen, and starting DataStage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi ray,
If krsriraman had not enabled, wont NLSMODE = 1 help him? :?:
Can you tell us what uvregen would do.....

regards
kumar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If NLS is not installed, then NLSMODE does not appear in uvconfig at all.

Once any change has been made to uvconfig it does not take effect until uvregen has been run and DataStage restarted. The uvregen utility builds a new image of the disk shared memory segment used by DataStage, structures in which are sized by parameters in the uvconfig file.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
krsriraman
Participant

Post by krsriraman »

Hey Guys,

Where do I find this uvconfig and uvregen in the Datastage Installation directory?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes.

In bin in the latter case.
RobJ
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RobJ »

I have the opposite problem. We installed NLS, but now find it's incompatible with our DataStage Enterprise USS component. Has anyone tried setting NLSMODE back to 0 and doing a uvregen? Is it likely to corrupt jobs which have been written with NLS enabled?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It won't corrupt any jobs.

The same can't be guaranteed for the job designs, however. In these you have specified NLS mapping, and now the NLS maps won't be loaded, so no mapping can take place. You will receive lots of warnings to this effect. Further, the results without mapping will need to be checked for correctness against results from the same jobs that had mapping enabled.
RobJ
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RobJ »

[quote="ray.wurlod"]It won't corrupt any jobs.

The same can't be guaranteed for the job designs, however. In these you have specified NLS mapping, and now the NLS maps won't be loaded, so no mapping can take place. You will receive lots of warnings to this effect. Further, the results without mapping will need to be checked for correctness against results from the same jobs that had mapping enabled.[/quote]

Thanks Ray, so it would be "safe" to switch NLSMODE to 0, test and if necessary revert to NLSMODE=1?

We're not in production yet - I just don't want to mess up all the development work that's been done to date.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, it's OK to set NLSMODE to 0 and test.

But remember the 4013th corollary to Murphy's Law - you won't have a problem if you have a backup.
RobJ
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RobJ »

[quote="ray.wurlod"]Yes, it's OK to set NLSMODE to 0 and test.

But remember the 4013th corollary to Murphy's Law - you won't have a problem if you have a backup.[/quote]

I was thinking that even as I wrote my last post. Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go next time I get the server to myself. Probably at the weekend.
RobJ
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RobJ »

ray.wurlod wrote:Yes, it's OK to set NLSMODE to 0 and test.

But remember the 4013th corollary to Murphy's Law - you won't have a problem if you have a backup.
That was good advice. I'm not sure if it was related, but some indexes got corrupted around the same time I set NLSMODE to 0. Some (but not all) jobs seemed to disappear. Fortunately, Ascential support were able to point me in the direction of the Administrator command "DS.REINDEX ALL". After I ran that, all my jobs reappeared :)

Setting NLSMODE=0 also worked and has resolved a lot of the issues we were having with running DataStage under USS. So, thanks very much for your help.