Datastage Server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

greggknight
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage Server

Post by greggknight »

Currently I am working at a client and some contractors there are telling me that datastage server will be going away and IBM will no longer support it. I am hoping someone from IBM answers this. One client just recently purchased server and are beginning their ware house development.

Could someone shed some reputable light on this for me.
Thanks
Gregg
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Probably this question is better posed in the Ascential Developer network; as Ascential employees post more frequently and with more authority there.

I think that the balance between Server and Px is certainly going to shift towards Px, but that DataStage server is not in it's dotage and will continue to exist for the lifecycle of any current project.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There has been no official announcement from Ascential stating that Server edition is to be phased out.

Certainly there is currently less development there than in other parts of the suite, but Server edition is a much more mature product, and really needs maintenance rather than development. This is happening.

Sales folks will probably push you towards Enterprise Edition, since the price is higher and therefore the commission greater. But that's not an appropriate basis on which to make the software choice.

My personal view, based on what I understand of Ascential's plans before the IBM takeover (and statements made at Ascential World 2003) was that a new engine (E2?) would be created able to handle both programming environments (server and parallel), and maybe other programming languages such as Perl. Perhaps the common repository for all products, to be seen in the Hawk release, is the first step along this path.

Please note that I have no formal relationship of any kind (apart from the usual non-disclosure agreement) with Ascential/IBM and am not purporting to make any statement on their behalf. The previous paragraph is my personal view only; it may or may not turn out to be correct. And "their" plans may change now that IBM owns the product.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I agree, server jobs are probably going to be supported for at a while yet. They are still packaging a server license with every release of PeopleSoft EPM. Because server licenses are cheaper customers are still buying them.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Vincent

I am sure IBM will appreciate the
cheaper customers
quote.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A job sequence is a specific instance of a server job.

What else do you need to say?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.