Compiled Or Not Compiled IN Production

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Rubu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Compiled Or Not Compiled IN Production

Post by Rubu »

Hi Guys

We are going to make delievry of a project to client. They are asking for Jobs to be compiled before delivering and they are saying that they do not want to compile the jobs before running the delivery.

I wonder whether there will be any problem in not compiling jobs before running in a new production env. Because the Prod environment is completely different from development.

What are the other factors needed to be taken care in migrating jobs from one environment to another?

We are using DS version 7.1 and Production Server will be using the same version.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
rubu
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The compiled server code is portable. There used to be a FNUXI type issue between some platforms, but I recall reading here that this has been solved; so you should have no problem porting the code.

Although the issues around big-endian and little-endian are supposedly solved, I think that if I were going from a Windows development to a UNIX production then I would prefer to recompile. Fortunately you wn't be seeing little errors if things go wrong - it will import & run or it will not, there is no middle ground there.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It might be worth validating the jobs in the new environment, to make sure that parameter values are correctly set. If they aren't, go to Director and choose Set Defaults from the Job menu.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.