Paralell running of same job with different parameters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

snassimr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Paralell running of same job with different parameters

Post by snassimr »

Hi !

I wonder if I can to run one job in paralell with Sequencer stage of Job Sequence and with different Job parametr.

For example I do three Job Activiteis in Job Sequence . Each Job Activity Run the same Job with different parameters and all three jobs are related to Sequencer stage with mode ALL
ranga1970
Participant

Post by ranga1970 »

Yes you can
RRCHINTALA
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If it's the same job it must be capable of multiple-instance running, and you must start the three instances with unique instance IDs. An instance ID can be any string, so you can make it meaningful within your overall scheme of things.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
snassimr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snassimr »

How I can supply unique instance IDs to job ?
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Simply tag it to job name and a dot.
Kirtikumar
Participant

Post by Kirtikumar »

If the job is multiple instance enabled, in the job activity properties, under the job page, you will find one textbox called Ivnocation ID Expression.
For all 3 activities, you should specify different strings. These strings will be used as invocation ids.
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.
snassimr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snassimr »

I need to create 3 jobs ? Where to tag ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

See immediately preceding post.

You create ONE job. You check the Allow Multiple Instance check box in its job properties.

Recompile.

When you run the job there is a new field, InvocationID. That's where you tag it if running from Director. If running from dsjob, use the "dot" notation mentioned earlier.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vinaymanchinila »

Hi Kirtikumar,
I have built a job seq where I have 2 Job activities with the same job, and in the job properties I have checked the "Allow Multiple Instance" , recompiled it.

Still in the job activity properties, under the job page, I am unable to find textbox called Ivnocation ID Expression.

It does ask me to assign the values at run time on a box to the right hand side.

Am I mising something here
Thanks,
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Make sure you have checked the "Allow multiple instances" on the server job, not the sequence job.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, the invocation ID must be set at run time.
The only property available at design time is "Allow multiple instances".
You do not, cannot, set the invocation ID at design time in the job.
When you fill in the job name in the Job Activity in a job sequence, use the dot notation - jobname.invocationID
vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thanks Ray, So how do I assign on at run time because our jobs are scheduled in the director!
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Vinay,

all Multiinstance jobs allow you to set the instance name in the directory when you start the job. The field does not appear for non-multi-instance jobs.
vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hi,
Yes, I can see the prompt for it when I run them in the director, but when I scehdule them to run every 2 hrs how do I fill this value in .

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The prompt for invocation ID should still appear when you're requesting a job run in Schedule view, so you fill the value in in exactly the same way as you would from a regular run request.