ORA-01089

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

logic
Participant

ORA-01089

Post by logic »

Hi All,
One of our jobs failed in a sequence was aborted with the following error

ORA-01089: immediate shutdown in progress - no operations are permitted

we are guessing that possibly the server went down so the sequence aborted. the job was running properly previously. What could be the possible reason for failure. any ideas?
thanks
ash.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What could be the reason? It's right there in the message - someone was shutting down the database your job was connected to. Talk to your DBA.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
logic
Participant

Post by logic »

Thanks craig :D
but all other jobs accessing the same dbase executed properly...all started at the same time...only 1 job..1 sequence aborted...why would that be?
Thanks,
Ash.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Check whether all jobs are against the same db.
logic
Participant

Post by logic »

Hi,
Checked..Yes they are....
We are going to run the job again.shoudnt be a problem but still wondering what would have made one job abort. Because as per the error I guess all jobs should have been aborted.
thanx,
Ash.
logic
Participant

Post by logic »

Hi Sai/Craig,
rerun was successful.....obviusly was some db problem....
and my apologies.....
My mistake....my project manager pointed out that the other jobs never completed sucessfully...the status "finished" seeing which i was confused was from the previous day..big oops Sorry and thanks for the attention.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That message only ever means that Oracle is being shut down. There is no way the other jobs could have finished successfully in this case.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ranga1970
Participant

Post by ranga1970 »

I guess this could be one of the reason, suppose you are retreaving data from Database A; and suppose you are running three jobs simultaniously, at some point of time this databse A got shut down, in thease three jobs two jobs compleated retreavel of the dat and ferforming the transferamtion, so still they are not compleate but they had finished accessing the database, so both of they are not impacted by the database shut down, but the job 3 is still accessing the Databse, obiously third job will abort and first two jobs will compleate. :D
So you can not genaralise things on this basis and think that message throuwn by the datastage is incorrect, most of the times thease messages mean business and there will be reasons for the abort, we have to consider various scenarios and possibilities..

thanks
RRCHINTALA
talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by talk2shaanc »

Cause: The SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE command was used to shut down a running Oracle instance, terminating any active operations.
Action: Wait for the instance to be restarted or contact the database administrator
Shantanu Choudhary