Failed to connect to host Error 80011

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

russ356
Charter Member
Charter Member

Failed to connect to host Error 80011

Post by russ356 »

I need help with an error. When I try to login to DataStage (Any of the 4 products) I am getting the following error.

Failed to connect to host: ...
(User name and/or password incorrect(80011))

This has been happening since we installed the package a few weeks ago. I have confirmed that the user name and password are correct and the weird thing is that if I keep hitting OK it will eventually let me in. Plus, when I finally get into designer and I go to tools and try and open director, I get the same error. Now, I know the everything is correct because it has already let me in. But if I click the omit button it let's me in with no errors.

I have contacted IBM product support and they are telling me that it's a network configuration problem and I am trying to confirm if this is the case.

This is what I know.

I confirmed the User Name and password are correct and that they have permission to login to DataStage.
I have tried it with another user name and password with same error.
I have tried it with the administrator account that installed the software with not success.
I can ping and telnet to the server.
If I do a tracert I get 2 hops.
I have confirmed my local hosts file is setup correctly.
I have confirmed that the port 31538 is not blocked.
I have contacted our network team and they have confirmed that no ports are being blocked.

I have read allot of posts on this site and tryed them all with no success. So I am completely stuck. So has anyone had this problem or is there anything else I can look at that I have not mentioned. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard! :D

What happens if you try to connect with the Omit check box checked (which uses LAN Manager rather than TCP/IP)?

If you have the clients installed on the server machine, try connecting to localhost (127.0.0.1) from them, with Omit cleared. This will help to confirm whether it's a network configuration problem or not.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
russ356
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by russ356 »

Sorry I have not responded. I am in the process of getting the client installed on the server. Large company, too many politics. Once I get it installed I will check to see if it works.

Anyway, when I check the omit button it logs me in every time.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That suggests that the problem is in TCP/IP authentication, which is handled (for DataStage) by the DataStage Resource service. Does restarting the services help?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
russ356
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by russ356 »

I finally got the client installed on the server and can login without problems. I have re-started the service on the server and I still have the same problem. I had our network team put a sniffer on network and the packet is being delivered to the server and returned to the client fine but I still get the error. Any thoughts?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Using the Administrator client can you connect? (It uses a slightly different mechanism.)
Otherwise, get into dssh on the server while attached to a project and enable server side tracing from the DS.TOOLS menu then try to connect a client. Disable server side tracing. The trace file will be in the &COMO& directory in your project and should contain some diagnostic information.
russ356
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by russ356 »

Well, I suddenly it's fixed. Now, I can't tell you how it got fixed because everyone is saying they didn't do anything but I don't believe this. I have been complaining for weeks, saying that this is a network or server problem and now all of the sudden it's fixed. So thanks for any help you provided and sorry I can't tell you what it was at least until someone tells me the truth.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you're on Windows XP, this error can occur if your network card is inactive (at least with version 7.5x2). I discovered this by accident. Once the network card becomes active again, things work!
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

I am facing the same problem now, tried everything listed

a) User Name/password are correct
b) unable to login from different client application as well.
c) I can ping to the server.
d) The port 31538 is not blocked.
e) Unable to login through DataStage Administrator.

But one information I have is,

When I do

Code: Select all

cd `cat /.dshome`
. ./dsenv
works fine till here, but fails when

bin/uvsh
gives error

/opt/dsadm/DataStage/DSEngine/.uvconfig: No such file or directory
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please start a new thread, topic ".uvconfig not found". This is NOT the same problem, even though the symptom appears the same.