Read only objects

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kool_cons
Participant

Read only objects

Post by kool_cons »

hey,
i have all jobs in one project. when i tried to move to new project.i am getting following error "114 read only objects were omitted". what do you mean by read only?? because of that, i am not able to see some plug in stages like pivot,merge,sort in my new project server job. when i enable the option read only in export. i can see all.but i want to know what is read only object.Could you tell me the reason please.
thanks in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's not an error, even though it displays as a warning after you export.

The good news is that it's not a problem either. Read-only objects are, by default, the ones that ship with DataStage, so they will be present in any project into which you import the contents of this export file.

They are omitted to keep the size of the export file as small as possible.

Similarly any property that has a default value is not exported, because it will have the same default value in the target project when imported.

If you want to include read-only objects or default-valued properties in an export file, you can elect to do so on the Options tab of the export dialog.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You should not try to move plug-in stages in this way.

You should install them properly in the other project either when DataStage server is installed on that machine or using the Package Installer.

This ensures that they are properly registered.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kool_cons
Participant

Post by kool_cons »

Hi Rev
I was not able to see the pivot,merge,row splitter,row merger stages in processing folder because of read only objects. initially i didnot select that option. then i couldnot see all those stages. afterwards i was able to see those stages becauase of enabling the option.read only option doesnot enable defaultly with ship. you need to select.

those stages were there in server in one project, not found in only one project. then why would you install those plugins with package installer..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

(Rev? Well, that will keep Roy a little happier!) :lol:

There are two ways to install plug-in (= optionally installed) stage types.

One is to install them when installing the DataStage server. By choosing them then they are installed into the Template from which new projects are created.

The other is to install them using the Package Installer on the server. This is a way in which plug-in stages can be installed in only one or more projects (rather than all).

The stages in your most recent post are all plug-in stage types.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Ray, He's Caps were down He ment:
Really Extreemly Valuable (and that is you I must admit :D )

Really As Ray (this forum's Warlord) said you should install plugins not export/import them.

Besides that when you export and you want read only objects exported as well check the apropriate check-box in the options tab.

P.S:
Ray, I was ready to change my user name as well, but you beat me to it ;)
So to show there was no contest doing it I left mine as is ;)
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
kool_cons
Participant

Post by kool_cons »

Thanks to Rey and Roy for ur help.sorry for that