How to invoke or run a job from Webpage..

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

saadmirza
Participant

How to invoke or run a job from Webpage..

Post by saadmirza »

Hi all,
I have 2 categories of Jobs...1. Local Validations 2. Global Validations

Also the front end is Web Entry tool through which the file is uploaded into DB...and then the Job is scheduled or manually invoked..

I want to know whether can I give flexibilty to the web user to invoke the Jobs from the Web atleast for Local Validations which should run evrey 30min or so...

Saad
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

saadmirza,

as DataStage has a command line tool to invoke, control and report on jobs, all you would need to do is invoke your web server package exit functionality. This is different depending upon your platform and package (apache, MS, etc.) as well as configuration, but easily implemented once you know the functionality.

And I also vaguely remember seeing something about software to allow DS Director type functionality from a thin client. I think it was Ray and some sort of a dashboard product from Ascential - it might be worth looking at their web pages.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sounds more like you are looking for an RTI/SOA solution, not a web user triggered batch job.

Otherwise, it's the standard 'dsjob' command that you're looking for... and I see Arnd has already mentioned that. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
saadmirza
Participant

Post by saadmirza »

Yes Arnd,
I am looking for such kind of functionality like a director on Web...
User should see the entire job process on the Web
He should trigger the job on Web
He should pass parameters from Web

Any idea what about the Web service Pack provided by Ascential?

Saad
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

saadmirza wrote:I am looking for such kind of functionality like a director on Web...
I think it's been mentioned as coming with Hawk. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I not sure exactly what you are looking for but DsWebMon will start and stop any job from the web. You can view logs and monitor or anything you want. You can get a free 30 day evaluation by going to

http://www.tools4datastage.com/contact.php

You can view the manual or downlaod it at:

http://www.duke-consulting.com/DsWebMon.htm
http://www.Duke-Consulting.com/DsWebMon/DsWebMon.zip
http://www.Duke-Consulting.com/DsWebMon ... Manual.zip

One DsWebMon can control multiple DataStage servers. The look and fell of this is very well done. It is a little tricky to setup IIS otherwise it will drop characters but that only takes minutes and there is a couple of avi files you can download and show what to do. There is one setting not in the avi which you need to set which is only in the manual.

Thanks Kim.
Mamu Kim
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Kim - thanks for adding to the thread, I had a vague recollection of your posting the tool but couldn't remember the details. I have had enough of trying to program exits from web servers - it just never seems to work as simply as the docs lead you to believe.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

My tool is stand alone to do what would take the Director and VPN to do otherwise.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can convert any DataStage job into a Web service using the RTI (real time interface, now called SOA (service oriented architecture)) components.

Code: Select all

RTI Input  --->  stages  --->  RTI Output
If you need to pass XML documents to and fro, simply add the stages that read and write these.

Code: Select all

RTI Input  --->  XML Reader  --->  stages  --->  XML Writer  ---> RTI Output
Apart from needing to register the job as a Web service, that's really all there is to it.
For name and address validation particularly, one of more of the stages in the above design might well invoke QualityStage components.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.