DataStage and DB2 in AS400

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zhaicaibing
Participant

DataStage and DB2 in AS400

Post by zhaicaibing »

I have a dataStage installed in an AIX machine. The source DB2 database is in AS400. After installing the DB2 connect in the AIX, we are able to connect and see the tables in the AS400 using DB2 command line.

I use DataStage Manager and DB2 plug-in, I can see the database and the list of tables in the DB2/400, after specifying the user name and password then click OK. It just hang there. How can I solve the problem? My problem is I cannot import the table definition of the db2/400 tables. Please advice.
garthmac
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by garthmac »

Hi,

From my experience, you must keep your AS400 library list as small as possible, and then be patient. Importing metadata can be very slow from DB2 on AS400. File are seen as tables on AS400, and there are typically 1000's of the damn things! Good luck.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That is the truth!!! :shock:

You can configure the client software (or ODBC driver) with filters that limit what is retrieved to the smallest reasonable set of table names.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
You might also recheck the default library/package that the used user gets to and make sure it is pointing to a real DB and not some arbitrary directory with (as mentioned) huge amounts of files.

I have seen cases that improper configuration caused the mentioned behaviour.

p.s.
make sure your first try is using a real working user on the AS400 and not a new one they built for you.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org