Cluster

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

akrzy
Participant

Cluster

Post by akrzy »

Can DS Server works with cluster system?
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Yes it can work on clusters. Can you be specific on which type of cluster you want DS to be installed.
akrzy
Participant

Post by akrzy »

I don't know for sure but someone asked me if DS can works on cluster.
It will be two clusters and if one of them will crushed the second will start working.

And I wonder if both versions of DataStage (Server &PX) can work in that combination.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Clusters are OK. Server is installed on only one machine in the cluster, but can access disk resources on the others. Parallel can operate on all machines in the cluster.

However, there is no automatic failover available in DataStage. It would just be too difficult to keep track of committed and uncommitted transactions on multiple processing nodes, not to mention the difficulty of reinstating all connections.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
akrzy
Participant

Post by akrzy »

Thanks,

And Can you tell ma how DS PX is installed on cluster.
Server is partitioning on every machines (cluster)?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Heck, anything can run on a cluster and can be made to failover from one cluster node to another. I've worked with SAs and DBAs to get it done in the past on a Tru64 cluster for DataStage Server, Oracle, etc. However, we had to define the failover rules - how it determined that something had failed, what was needed to do to restart it on another node, what needed to be transferred node to node (like cron entries) during failover, etc. It was the opposite of what Ray mentioned - 'installed' on multiple nodes, only running on one at a time, all using one set of shared EMC disk.

The question is - is it cluster aware? Can it failover transparently, not losing any work or transactions that are 'in the air' at the time? The answer is no.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers