Improving the performance of OCI 9i Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yaminids »

Hello friends,

I am trying different options to load data into Oracle database.

Initailly I used ODBC Stage and was able to process about 800 rows per second. I used OCI 9i Stage, in hope of improving the performance but was disappointed with it's perforamnce. I was able to process only 200 rows per second. Am I doing anything wrong? What values should I use for "Array Size", "Transaction Size" etc to get better results.

Thank you very much in advance
Yamini
rajkraj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Improving the performance of OCI 9i Stage

Post by rajkraj »

OCI 9i Stage is better option, the processing speed was depend on server load.

raj
yaminids wrote:Hello friends,

I am trying different options to load data into Oracle database.

Initailly I used ODBC Stage and was able to process about 800 rows per second. I used OCI 9i Stage, in hope of improving the performance but was disappointed with it's perforamnce. I was able to process only 200 rows per second. Am I doing anything wrong? What values should I use for "Array Size", "Transaction Size" etc to get better results.

Thank you very much in advance
Yamini
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

You need to analyse your records to determine the best combination. OCI is better and efficient than ODBC.
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yaminids »

Hi Sai,

Even though the number of records to be written depends on the network, can you tell me where I am supposed to set this number.

Is it in
1) Array size field or
2) Transaction size field or
3) Rows per transaction field

in the OCI 9i Stage. Can you also tell me which one would yield a better result?

Thanks a lot
Yamini
amsh76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by amsh76 »

Please look into the documents..its explained there.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Improving the performance of OCI 9i Stage

Post by chulett »

yaminids wrote:Can you also tell me which one would yield a better result?
Unfortunately, no. There are too many variables involved - variables related to your particular server, database design, table layout, etc, etc - to hand out one-size-fits-all advice.

Array size is probably your best bet for a cheap 'performance improvement'. Run some tests, bump it up and see what happens.

Don't worry about the 'Transaction size' on the General tab. Per the help: "This field exists for backwards compatability, but it is ignored for release 3.0 and later of the Plug-in." In other words, the version you are using right now. Use the 'Rows per transaction' setting on the 'Transaction Handling' tab instead.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I just had a report from a customer as follows. Job design is

Code: Select all

OCI9 ----->  HashedFile
There are 34756 rows to move. Array size is set to 1000. The job loaded 34000 rows, and apparently discarded the incomplete array.
Further investigation is required.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.