Problem with Warning limits - Yes, I know it's an old topic!

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

peter_dickinson
Participant

Problem with Warning limits - Yes, I know it's an old topic!

Post by peter_dickinson »

I'm having a problem running a particular job in a Sybase ASE database - It aborts after 50 warnings relating to duplicate keys.

1. The tracing limit on the job page is set to No Limits.
2. The tracing level in Director is set to No Limits.

I run the job from the command line:

dsjob -run -warn 0 DEV_EP1 <projname> <jobname>

It STILL fails after 50 warnings.

I must be doing something stupid here.

Can you spot the error?????

Cheers,

Pete
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

The seeting done at the administrator overrided whatever setting done in director.

But once the setting is changed in administrator you need to restart datastage

Regards
Sreenivasulu
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you have a limit on a link handling rejected rows?

In Director, in Tools > Options (Limits tab), what is the default limit?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
peter_dickinson
Participant

ray.wurlod wrote:Do you have a limit on a link handling rejected rows?

In Director, in Tools > Options (Limits tab), what is the default limit?
Thanks for the quick responses, guys.

Sreenivasulu, .....regarding the Administrator settings, you refer to...I can't see anywhere to setwarning Limits! Could you maybe point me in the right direction,

Ray,....my terminology was a bit off, I'm afraid...what I meant by "The tracing level in Director is set to No Limits" was, in fact the Tools > Options (Limits tab) setting, which I specified as No Limits (I also tried a high number eg 50,000, but the job still failed after 50 warnings).
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Doesn't matter what your limits are in the Director or Administrator when you run the job from the command line and use the -warn parameter. :? So, unless we are running into a bug, there must be something in your job that is overriding your command line option.

You didn't answer when Ray asked "Do you have a limit on a link handling rejected rows?". Constraints have an 'Abort after X rows' option associated with them, so the possibility exists that you've got one and it's set to 50. Any chance of that?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
peter_dickinson
Participant

chulett wrote:Doesn't matter what your limits are in the Director or Administrator when you run the job from the command line and use the -warn parameter. :? So, unless we are running into a bug, there must be something in your job that is overriding your command line option.

You didn't answer when Ray asked "Do you have a limit on a link handling rejected rows?". Constraints have an 'Abort after X rows' option associated with them, so the possibility exists that you've got one and it's set to 50. Any chance of that?
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for that...I missed replying to Ray's first question in my haste. In answer....I don't have limits on any outputs - they're all at the default value of 0.

I understand your comment about the command line - it's just that this has been such a pain, I decided to cover all bases!

Cheers,

Pete
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Sorry Peter !!!

There is no setting for warnings in Administrator.

I got confused with the purging of job log.

Regards
Sreenivasulu
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No problem, Paul. :wink:

Let us know if you get this worked out.
-craig

chinek
Participant

Re: Problem with Warning limits - Yes, I know it's an old to

Post by chinek »

peter_dickinson wrote:I'm having a problem running a particular job in a Sybase ASE database - It aborts after 50 warnings relating to duplicate keys.

1. The tracing limit on the job page is set to No Limits.
2. The tracing level in Director is set to No Limits.

I run the job from the command line:

dsjob -run -warn 0 DEV_EP1 <projname> <jobname>

It STILL fails after 50 warnings.

I must be doing something stupid here.

I believe the 50 warnings limit before the job aborts is coded within DS and you can't change that. What I normally do is fix the cause of the problem, if you are generating duplicates then try to find a way to dedupe for instance.

Nick

Can you spot the error?????

Cheers,

Pete
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Problem with Warning limits - Yes, I know it's an old to

Post by chulett »

chinek wrote:I believe the 50 warnings limit before the job aborts is coded within DS and you can't change that. What I normally do is fix the cause of the problem, if you are generating duplicates then try to find a way to dedupe for instance.
Very true, the best way to solve any problem like this is to ensure your job generates nothing in the way of warnings or errors.

However, there is no 'coded within DataStage' 50 warning limit. Default of that, yes, but I've seen people merrily generate zillions of warnings in a job and be happy ("It didn't abort!") when it finished. Well, happy until they went to clear the job log, that is. :wink:
-craig

palmeal
Participant

Post by palmeal »

I had the 50 errors warning before when I ran my Job Sequence via dsjob but strangely it didn't complain when I ran it through Developer/Director. The reason that I had so many warnings was that I was passing a value out of a routine via Ans instead of the required 0 (hence a warning for each) - this was within a loop so I had no option but to restructure my code and write the value that I was passing via Ans to a file and then read that value in. That sorted my problem.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In Director go to the Options selection on the Tools menu. That's where you can set the default limits. Don't know whether this affects dsjob (let us know, please). You can always override on the dsjob command line.

Code: Select all

dsjob -run -warn 0 project jobname
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.