Failed to enumerate domain groups

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

OverLord
Participant

Failed to enumerate domain groups

Post by OverLord »

When I open the properties of a project in DataStage Administrator, a window titled "DataStage Repository Interface" with the message "DSR.ADMIN: Failed to enumerate domain groups -" appears. I "OK" this message and I get the properties window. Only problem is that I do not get the "Group Permissions", of course, under the "Permissions" tab. Clicking in the "Group Permissions" box makes DataStage Administrator crash and close.

This is happening on all our servers with version 7.1 and was not happening with previous versions. This problem happens on Microsoft Windows server 2000 and 2003 Enterprise. I have made many searches on this site and found no one else with this problem.

How can I make the groups visible?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I see this under circumstances that I haven't quite resolved yet, and it's been around since at least version 4.0. It seems to occur when the user ID is not Administrator, even though the user is a member of the Administrators group. And it only ever happens when the DataStage server is on Windows.
My workaround is to edit the project folder's hidden files .operator.adm and .developer.adm on the server directly. This is where the groups belonging to each role are stored. I have no problem accessing them as a member of the Administrators group.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

I have received this error when using the omit option to log into Administrator client. My domain id belongs to the Administrator group on the DataStage server.

When I explicity log on to the server with my id and password I do not get this error.

Greg
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ray.wurlod wrote:And it only ever happens when the DataStage server is on Windows.
[bzzzzt] This has (recently?) starting happening to us on our HP-UX server. The problem does not happen if we are logged on as a generic 'dsuser' type user via the Administrator, all is fine. However, if I log in as 'dsadm' and click on the Properties for any given project this very same message pops up.

Just been ignoring it so far. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vijay.rajendran
Participant

Re: Failed to enumerate domain groups

Post by vijay.rajendran »

We had the similar issue after installing 7.5.2 in windows 2003 server. This issue was resolved after the administrator ran the sys prep (For more details on system prep look into microsoft website).

So this may be something to do with the security and and the build.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Arise, sleeping thread! Arise! :wink:

My 'fix' was to supply the missing .developer.adm file in the Project from what I recall.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Of course, on Windows it doesn't have the leading dot, but does have its "hidden" attribute set.

And, if you have not configured any security through DataStage roles, these files ARE absent - not missing. They only come into existence if you modify the role-based security in Administrator client.

It all changes for version 8, of course. Now you need to register "suite" users for Information Server, and allocate DataStage (and other) product credentials to those suite users. They can be mapped to operating system users - we've managed to get both styles working on Linux with 8.0.1.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Absent, missing... picky, picky. :wink:
-craig