Table Definition, Format tab

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Table Definition, Format tab

Post by PhilHibbs »

In Table Definitions, on the Format tab, there is a tick-box "First line is column names". What earthly use is this? I know what it means, but how do I get DataStage to actually use the setting in Table Definitions in a job? Loading the columns into a Seq File stage doesn't also load this setting, and dragging the Table Definition onto a link doesn't copy this setting either, so it appears to be a half-implemented feature. Am I missing something?
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
Precious
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Precious »

On the Format Tab, there is a load button. This is what you would use to actually load the Format of the columns that are being defined. This would be "First Line is Column Names", your quote characters, delimeters etc.

Hope that explains it,
Precious

Mosher's Law of Software Engineering: Don't worry if it doesn't work right. If everything did, you'd be out of a job.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

Precious wrote:On the Format Tab, there is a load button.
D'oh! Why did I never notice that button?

It seems a bit unnecessary to have to do both steps separately. I can see the advantage of being able to do them separately, but having to is annoying.

I'm still rather surprised that dragging the Table Definition onto the link doesn't load this data - both sets of data (Properties & Columns) are attributes of the link, after all. I suppose the link only has one set of columns, but can have two different sets of properties.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
Madhav_M
Participant

Post by Madhav_M »

First line column names advices Datastage that incoming sequential file has first row as column heading thus it will not be written in the target.

Ex: Ur sequential file as the follwing contents
Empno, sal
2, 200

In format tab if u check first line is column names the first row(empnno, sal) will not be processed.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Format tab is only for Sequential Files. There is an annotation on the page to this effect.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

ray.wurlod wrote:The Format tab is only for Sequential Files. There is an annotation on the page to this effect.
Yes I know, and we use sequential files a lot. I would like to streamline the process of configuring them, since relying on the developer to manually apply the sequential file properties (specifically the "First line is column names" flag, and the "Default NULL string" value) is error-prone. I have a Perl script that scans the XML export for this kind of missing property, but it's a less-than-ideal solution.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant