Adding entries to VOC

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kww
Participant

Adding entries to VOC

Post by kww »

Couple things:

What are the commands to add itmes to the VOC file?

For instance, DS.TOOLS and UNLOCK

Also, anyone know where DS.TOOLS is documented?
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

You can use universe sql to do this. But you need to know what you are adding as it may impact others too.
elavenil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by elavenil »

There is a PDF document in the IBM website to administer the Universe. I do not think there is a documentation specific to those commands unless Ascential provides.

Regards
Saravanan
kww
Participant

Post by kww »

I was looking for the editor commands.

ED VOC
>?

Thinking someone had some notes.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

kww,

editing the VOC is not difficult to do, but you can easily corrupt your account if you are not careful. The IBM pages also have a PDF document on the UniVerse EDitor; but you have the general command syntax already - ED <filename> <recordname>. Once in the EDitor you can type HELP to get a list of valid commands and remember that typing QUIT will get you out.

The DS.TOOLS command is not documented, but it is a MENU type which is essentially a record in a file that describe the display text and associated command.

The UNLOCK command is a UniVerse command (once again, download the free PDFs from IBM) which should be used with care.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Editing the VOC file is fraught with danger for the inexperienced. If you cause some damage, for example by deleting vital records, your support provider will not talk to you.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.