Server job process

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

snassimr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Server job process

Post by snassimr »

Hi ! .I want to ask question

During viewing data in import table definitions my Windows is hang up with "Not Responding" message . I closed DS Designer with "End Now"
and I cant access to existing jobs that were openned during my previuos
work.

I heard that each job is a process but I have no admin on ETL server
Is there is any way to release my Jobs for editing from Designer or Other client tools ?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

snassimr,

if you go into your Director and look at the drop-down-menu Job -> Cleanup Resources. It might be greyed-out, in which case your administrator would have to activate that option from within the DataStage administrator.

I would think that there is a lock daemon running, which should remove your locks every 30 or perhaps 45 minutes - have you waited longer than that already? If so, then the quickest method might be to logout the users and restart the DataStage engine.
dsxdev
Participant

Post by dsxdev »

Hi SNassimR,

In DataStage Director from the menu Job -> Cleanup Resources
you get a window with two text areas. Choose "show all jobs".
in under both the screens. Yhis will show you all the job locks and process Id.
Check for the Job name and note down the process id.

Now go to unix prompt and kill this process.
The job would be released.
This process is a crude way of doing things.
There would be some orphan processes created by this which should be cleaned up later.
Happy DataStaging
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Killing from OS prompt is not adviced until you know clearly what you are doing. Especially when users share authorisations.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

dsxdev,

in this case the UNIX/Windoze process is most likely already gone; what is stopping snassmir from continuing is an internal DataStage lock that has survived (either the job aborting or someone doing an OS level kill). Either let the daemon clear it in time or restart the services unless you know what you are doing and want to play with the file and record level locks.

Never ever do a kill -9 on DS processes without the expectation of having to restart the server very quickly thereafter. If you really feel that urge to kill something, use a more graceful kill :)
elavenil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by elavenil »

Choose "Cleanup Resources" and show all from the Locks window and select the process id for the particular job and click on Show All in the processes window and select the process id and select 'Show by process' and select the process from Lock window and release all button this will release the job. You can perform this using DS.TOOLS menu in the administer client.

Hope TWH.

Regards
Saravanan
Jay
Participant

Post by Jay »

I follow these in a sequence.

kill -4 if i/o error
kill -15 if application error
kill -9 means asking the CPU dont schedule this job anymore

Ray D told me about the "graceful kill". i am not having much problems thereafter.

1st i do kill -4, check for ps -ef"|grep <username>

The process usually gets killed here. If not then kill by -15 option.

Jay
snassimr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snassimr »

I use "Clean up resources" but process is still live
and all lockes are live. So How to kill process with definit number in WINDOWS
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

snassimr,

if you could not cleanly and elegantly get rid of the jobs I would (once again) recommend restarting the DataStage engine instead of trying to master the complexities of DataStage lock and process management.