DSExecute cannot locate command even with environment set

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pallikon
Participant

DSExecute cannot locate command even with environment set

Post by pallikon »

Hi All,
This is my first post. I searched the forum and did not find any earlier post to help me with this one. The DSExecute statement in my server routine fails to execute the command passed to it, even with the correct path settings.
The error message returned is:

'plink' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

The window's server routine's functionality is to connect to a linux machine and execute a certain command. I souped up the command string that is to be passed as DSExecute arguement. I also verified the command string on a DOS window to make sure the system path settings are present.

I am using the open source binary tool 'plink' for connecting to the linux machine and to pass the target command.

My question is:
What other settings are needed for executing a DOS command from DSExecute, other than setting the %PATH% variable.

Regards,
--Raghu
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

Welcome to the forum!

Are you using the same username when testing as when running the job? Each user in Windows has a different %PATH%.

Also, please post an example of your call to DSExecute. That would help us out.

John
pallikon
Participant

Post by pallikon »

Hi John,
Thank you for responding. Let me eloborate on my setup here. I have the DataStage server running on my desktop and the designer is installed on the same machine too.

I had added the path information for the 'plink' in the user PATH settings. I was also connecting to the DataStage server with the same userid. The DSExecute failed with those settings.

I then went ahead and added the 'plink' path information to the system variable PATH settings and deleted it from the user settings. The server routine run was successful only after I rebooted the system. The environment settings were not picked with just exiting and opening the designer.

The DOS command terminal picks the environment settings from both system as well as user variables. Where as the DS seems to just pick the environment settings from the system variables. Am I correct?

The machine is running XP Professional.

--Raghu
ds_developer wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Are you using the same username when testing as when running the job? Each user in Windows has a different %PATH%.

Also, please post an example of your call to DSExecute. That would help us out.

John
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

Sorry I'm not on a Windows server right now, so I can't give you better information. I would try the following:

1. try to get it to work by sending the full path to 'plink' on the call to DSExecute
2. instead of sending 'plink', send 'path' and then look carefully for the path to plink

I still would like to see the example of your call to DSExecute.

Hope this helps,
John