Does ODBC query gets killed, when your reset a Job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Does ODBC query gets killed, when your reset a Job

Post by talk2shaanc »

If a huge SQL query is submitted in the ODBC stage and the job is reset/stopped, is the query killed or does it keep running on the DB. If yes, what is the solution? Recompile the job?
Shantanu Choudhary
tcj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Does ODBC query gets killed, when your reset a Job

Post by tcj »

talk2shaanc wrote:If a huge SQL query is submitted in the ODBC stage and the job is reset/stopped, is the query killed or does it keep running on the DB. If yes, what is the solution? Recompile the job?
I have found that most of the time on an oracle server that yes the query is still running. Contact your DBA to kill the query if it is still running unless you have access to do it yourself.
Prashantoncyber
Participant

Post by Prashantoncyber »

Is there any way that we can find it out wether querry is running or not either thro' DS or Orcle DB?
talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by talk2shaanc »

Through Oracle front-end Tool(Quest Central or Toad) you can trace session and see which user ? , what query is running ? and how many resources are consumed for running a query?. Well I had tested it in my case it was killed. But wanted to know from people out here on forum, if they came across such instances where it was not killed and what steps they took thereafter.
Shantanu Choudhary
tcj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tcj »

talk2shaanc wrote:Through Oracle front-end Tool(Quest Central or Toad) you can trace session and see which user ? , what query is running ? and how many resources are consumed for running a query?. Well I had tested it in my case it was killed. But wanted to know from people out here on forum, if they came across such instances where it was not killed and what steps they took thereafter.
Yes there will be instances where it was not killed. I have had weird things happen with datastage jobs in that queries have returned data back to the datastage designer after it has stopped or aborted. Or people that have stopped and started their job a couple of times and there has been multiple threads left on the DB.
talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by talk2shaanc »

Sorry for not submitting my last thread in proper format.
Below potion was answer to "Prashantoncyber " question

:) "Through Oracle front-end Tool(Quest Central or Toad) you can trace session and see which user ? , what query is running ? and how many resources are consumed for running a query?."

and
"Well I had tested it in my case it was killed. But wanted to know from people out here on forum, if they came across such instances where it was not killed and what steps they took thereafter."

was reason for posting this thread.[/list]
Shantanu Choudhary
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Usually have the DBA kill the session. No-one else has the privileges necessary.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.