adding job parameter to many jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Luk
Participant

adding job parameter to many jobs

Post by Luk »

Hi all!

Is it possible to add 1 (the same) job parameter to many jobs (i.e 50 or more) in one time??
Or must I add it manualy many times (opening each job and add parameter)??

Regards
LUK
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

There are several routines posted that will do this. I posted one, Ray and Ken also posted routines. A more complete solution is to buy Parameter Manager from www.tools4datastage.com.
Mamu Kim
dsquestion
Participant

Post by dsquestion »

Hi luk,
Instead of going parameters for 50 jobs why cant you use environmental variables which is a good solution for your requirement.
Luk
Participant

Post by Luk »

thanks I will search routines
Instead of going parameters for 50 jobs why cant you use environmental variables which is a good solution for your requirement.
could you be more specific - I try to show my problem more specific:

I want to use in every 50 jobs 1 parameter (or maybe env variable as you said) but at the momement I have no parameters added in my jobs.

I want have name and meaning of my parameter the same in each job but I want to set different default values to them and assign diffrent values to them before runnig each jobs!!

I doubt tahat I can use env variable wchich has only 1 assigned value!!
LUK
adamski
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by adamski »

Some more details would shed light on what it is you want to do. Odd having one param of the same name in all jobs with a different value for each. Could be a case for a multi threaded job?

One way to do this is export the jobs into a dsx file, edit it using search and replace routines to create params, then import. BE SURE TO KEEP A BACKUP.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Something like Parameter Manager from the fine folks who run this site could easily get your parameter into all of the jobs. However, if they all need different default values, you're still stuck with the monkey work of changing them all one by one.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
martin
Participant

Post by martin »

Hi Luk,
  • I want to use in every 50 jobs 1 parameter (or maybe env variable as you said) but at the momement I have no parameters added in my jobs.

I want have name and meaning of my parameter the same in each job but I want to set different default values to them and assign diffrent values to them before runnig each jobs!!
This You Can Achive This With JobControl Job And Global Parameter File Where You Hardcode All Parameter Values. And JobControl Job At Runtime Will Pick Job Parameters from Parameter File.

Martin