Version Control - Get Dependent Components

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

StefL
Participant

Version Control - Get Dependent Components

Post by StefL »

I'm to use Version Control and just started initializing a number of components to the Version Project that has been set up.
The documentation recommends using the 'Get Dependent Components' option, which does seem like a good idea. According to the manual it should make all used jobs, routines, tables be included in the initialization.

However, when I selected a number of Job Sequences, pressed 'Get Dependent Components' and then ran the initializer I didn't get anything more than the job sequences into the Version Project. When running initialization of the missing jobs afterwards, the relevant table definitions were included though.

Does 'Get Dependent Components' not work for Job Sequences, or have I made some other odd mistake?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You need to have been documenting dependencies on the Dependencies tab in jobs and routines. It is this information (AFAIK) that Version Control uses to identify dependencies.

However, the Dependencies grid is maintained automatically for job sequences (you should check - this is from memory), so something weird seems to be happening.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, it seems to read through the jobs themselves to find what it would consider to be 'dependant' components. However, I don't recall that functionality ever working for Sequencer jobs... just Server jobs. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
StefL
Participant

Post by StefL »

OK, I didn't realise I had to maintain the Dependencies grid myself, seems like something that definitely should be automatic - or nonexistent...
Anyway, it's not a huge problem, I just got confused since the documentation for Version Control stated that using Get Dependent Components was the 'normal' way and I assumed it would also work...
StefL
Participant

Post by StefL »

On a closer look, the Dependencies tab does seem to get maintained automatically for Job Sequences as well (just had a look at my sequences), but that still wasn't reflected in that Version Control chose to include in the initialization...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

StefL wrote:OK, I didn't realise I had to maintain the Dependencies grid myself, seems like something that definitely should be automatic - or nonexistent...
You do, except for (as you found) some aspects of Sequencer jobs. However, that being said, it isn't used by Version Control.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers