Unknown software exception - followed by designer crashing

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rsrikant
Participant

Unknown software exception - followed by designer crashing

Post by rsrikant »

We are getting strange errors after upgrading to 7.5.1 from 7.1.

When ever we open sequencers that are quite big (probably some 40 to 50 activities) and just try to do a couple of changes (can be anything just parameter changes or trigger changes) we get a weird error and the designer simply crashes. The same error is getting logged in windows system log. Few of the errors i copies and pasted below.

Code: Select all

"Application popup: DSDesign.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x77fcc7ae" referenced memory at "0x00390037". The memory could not be "written."

"Application popup: DSDesign.exe - Application Error : The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000017) occurred in the application at location 0x77fb14f4."

Application popup: DSDesign.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x6c3b5115" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read".
We are trying to see all the options. Contacted Ascential support. Looked into google and tried all the options. Nothing seems to work for us. It is really troubling us a lot. It is happening only in one particular project (but we have the sequencer jobs with so many activities only in this project).

Then we installed Windows Xp following some posts in google. Still we are getting the errors and the designer crashes (luckily for us it don't lock the jobs which are opened). But the error messages are a bit different. They are Dr. watson messages in application log of the windows system.

Code: Select all

The application, C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage\DSDesign.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 04/21/2005 @ 15:37:43.109 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7C93426F (ntdll!RtlInitializeContext)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Fault bucket 189458997.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Faulting application dsdesign.exe, version 7.5.1.18, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0003426f.

he application, C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage\DSDesign.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 04/21/2005 @ 15:35:40.015 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 734493DC (MSVBVM60!_vbaStrVarCopy)

Faulting application dsdesign.exe, version 7.5.1.18, faulting module msvbvm60.dll, version 6.0.96.90, fault address 0x000293dc.

Anyone faced these problems earlier??
To my knowledge i can only think of few reasons for these.
1. We are not using the right Service Pack. (currently we use SP4 on windows 2000. is it okay?)
2. There is some virus causing this. (kind of weird but we got the similar errors a couple of years back using a different application - rational clearcase)
3. Installation problems (but i am not sure of this as this problem comes on all our clients)
4. Dll's are corrupted or not the right version(i checked for that and i don't think it is the reason)

If you guys can help me out in thinking from different directions it will be really nice.

Thanks,
Srikanth
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Did you check your memory usage when this happens?
rsrikant
Participant

Post by rsrikant »

Yea. Checked it. There is not much of change in memory usage when the error comes.

Rest of the jobs are working fine. only when we open sequencers (that too considerably big ones) we get this error.

The same sequencers used to work fine in 7.1.

Not sure if this version 7.5.1 is working fine without any problems.

--Srikanth
poorna_76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by poorna_76 »

rsrikant wrote:Yea. Checked it. There is not much of change in memory usage when the error comes.

Rest of the jobs are working fine. only when we open sequencers (that too considerably big ones) we get this error.

The same sequencers used to work fine in 7.1.

Not sure if this version 7.5.1 is working fine without any problems.

--Srikanth
I just found in this Forum that 7.5.1 has some bug related to Sequencer and also 7.5.1A has the fix, for it.

Look at this post: http://dsxchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=92461

Thanks
rsrikant
Participant

Post by rsrikant »

Actually we got this problem fixed.

It is bug on Ascential side. The technical support team provided us with a new dll for the sequencers.
We replaced the old dll with this new one and this unknown exceptions stopped coming. The desiger is more stable now when working with sequencers.

But the new dll introduced another problem. We can't edit the routine activity. Double clicking or right clicking doesn't work on this stage alone.
For us the routine activity is same for all the jobs, we just copy from the other job and paste in the new job. With this work around we are able to manage currently.

If any of you guys, getting the same problems as above, can contact support and get the new dll for sequencers.

Thanks,
Srikanth
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Are you running XP with Service Pack 2 on your client pc? That can cause the problems you are now seeing if you don't apply the "SP2 Patch" from Ascential's eServices support website.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

We have the same issue. We got the patch and now cannot edit routine activities. We reported it last week. We are waiting on another patch.

Let you know when we get it.
Mamu Kim
rsrikant
Participant

Post by rsrikant »

Craig,

Thanks for the reply.

I am on 2000 with SP4. This problem comes on 2000 with SP3 also.

For 2000 what is the service pack i am supposed to have?

Thing is the problem comes only for the routine activity. All others activities are working fine.

Regards,
Srikanth
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

rsrikant wrote:For 2000 what is the service pack i am supposed to have?
No clue as everyone here is on XP. I didn't even think 2000 was a supported client platform. :? Best to ask on ADN or wait and see if someone else here knows.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Check the Release Notes, you can find it in Start menu ....Program files...
There it specifies the operating system and other details for your installed version.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

This bug is on 2000 sp3 and sp4 and XP.
Mamu Kim
rsrikant
Participant

Post by rsrikant »

Today we got one more patch from Ascential to fix this problem with routine activity.

After applying the patch on the client side the problems with sequencer got resolved.

Now the sequencer just works fine!!!

Thanks,
Srikanth